• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sta-21 board questions

chk13

-My take on how current events were going to effect our country and our navy's mission.
-What is the difference between a Chief's type of leadership and an Officer's type of leadership

(and many from above listings)

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Explain how you're going to handle the situation once you commission and all your old enlisted friends want to hang out?

Say you're the freshly winged LTJG and just reported to your first command. Your CO takes you for a familiarization flight and once he lands tells you to sign a certain document because he is counting that as his check flight/currency/etc.. (don't remember the exact term but you get the jist). The document is saying you are a witness confirming he did "said flight". You know the CO didn't really do the "said flight" because it was only a brief fam flight so what do you do and why?

One LT kept asking me grooming standards until I eventually missed one (it was something to do with female standards). He then said "how are you going to be a division officer when you don't even know all the personal standards for men and women? What if your division comes to you for guidance and you don't know the answers?"

In your own words, not a dictionary answer or what you think we want to hear, explain what the core values are and give an example of each that you have seen in your lifetime.

Are you doing this program to become a pilot or an officer?

They acknowledged that I have a family and how it can be hard living the military lifestyle, then asked "what's more important, family or the Navy?"

Current events came up in both my internal and external. Know the most recent NAVADMINs also. That was a question, "what is the most current NAVADMIN and how does it relate to you?"

wernama

1. The ship has been out for over 30 days so everyone is stressed out, miserable and ready to pull in. Capt pulls you into his office and tells you that next port visit your division can not go out on liberty because of too many liberty incidents during the last port ... What do you do and what do you tell your division...
2. Out of the Core values, which one stands out most to you and why?
3. On your first day at your new command as an Ensign you tell your division to start coming to quarters in NWU's from now on. After you walk away you hear your Chief tell them f#@k that come in whatever uniform you want, he’s just a fresh ensign that doesn’t know S#%t. What do you do?
4. Will your leadership style change once commissioned? If so how?
I also got a lot of the same questions listed in the other posts...

kupao1502

I like shooting from the hip (I'd like to think so), so when they asked me why I wanted to become an officer, my answer, in variation is:

"I'd be a hypocrite If I say I don't want to get paid more, but I do, want to get paid more. <awkward pause...> ...But I would be an even bigger of a hypocrite if I didnt want to lead and serve an organization, as big as the Navy, that changes people's lives on a grand scale. The amount of lives, whether those who enlisted, those who we help, our missions, and the support that we give is just paramount to what we do, and there is nothing bigger than that. This is why I am in front you right now. To become part of it, as a leader and a Human Resources Officer...."
Something like that.

I had multiple interviews... 2-three officer board, 3 one on one interviews...One of them had a PRC for situational questions (fraternization etc...)

1. I wore my dress whites on all my interviews...(just wear it!)...
2. Make eye contacts when speaking/spoken to.
3. Be specific when answering questions. You will find yourself blabbering and going off topic, and when you realize this, reiterate the question and answer it.
4. Current Events!! I was asked about how I would feel if Dont Ask Dont tell was repealed, views on IA (I didnt realize that the question was really towards how IA is hurting shipboard/navy manning...), and many more...just make sure you are informed and read the damn paper!

Second Question: "Why the human resources community?" <or whatever community you are applying for...>
Always remember you are applying for a commission first, then the community you want. Research the community. Familiarize yourself with what they do...etc. Then link "why you want become an officer" and "why that community" ...

Fraternization/CMEO/Diversity/Command Climate Questions. Prepare yourself with situational questions. Like, if you are the JR Officer and check in this command, there are 5 alcohol related incidents in a month, chiefs and officers are not working together, what do you do?
or, you see the XO and a chief sharing a ride together, what do you do? This mutated into, you hear them planning on going out for dinner on their way home...what would you do? If you say, "im going to talk to them," which one, the officer or the enlisted first? Who do you report it to?

If you are in disagreement with a Senior Chief or Master Chief, how would you address this?

Situational Awareness: very very important!

When the external CO asked me what my favorite book is...I know these kinds of questions are fillers (just to kill time), I took this opportunity to bring up diversity issues. "I like Man's Search for Existence by Dr. Frankl. He was in Auschwitz and wrote his story while in concentration camp..." the conversation turned into the extermination of a race, then what would happen if we don't value racial differences...

PM me if you want more shooting from the hip statements, lol.

-P

chk13

Wow, Kupao, those are some really great questions and answers. Thanks for such a great post.

Wow these are great questions! Ill be sure to post the questions i get this year. Is there anyone who went for Supply Corps who can post their questions?

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
Keep in mind your internal and external boards may be completely different. For me my internal was 90% about what my relationship would be with the Chief's mess and enlisted personnel. My external board was mostly about my degree and community training pipeline. My best advice is diversify what you study before hand and be prepared for a few screwball questions that are designed to make you stop and think. Also Wlawr's question was one you will face multiple times throughout STA-21 and post commissioning. Good luck to everyone.

Smirnoff

pilot
If you were God and watched over a colony of people who had a issue with people being violent and at times causing extreme pain and hardship for some of your people, what would you do about it? Or something like that. Its been a while.

amwyatt

Sta-21 FY12 Selectee
How do you think your current peers will feel about having to salute you in the future?

I answered with something like- I'm really ambitious and determined and all my peers know that. They all know that I strive to get EPs and that I aim to promote quickly, and they know that I work hard to earn it. Even if I wasn't picked up for STA-21, many my peers would probably expect me to outrank them at some point because I'm incredibly motivated. When people find out I'm applying for STA-21, most expect me to succeed, and even already make jokes and call me ma'am.

I was also asked a variety of leadershippy questions like the ones already on here. I think my interview got off to a really good start though because when I first sat down, one of the officers recognized me from the previous weekend where we had volunteered together to serve on a funeral detail for a local service member. He also remember that I was the girl who got car sick on the ride there. He asked me, "Wait, you get car sick? Don't you think your motion sickness might be a problem on a ship?" I answered, "I get motion-sick. It's not problem." Everyone chuckled, and we sort of just dove into the interview like that.