• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sta-21 board questions

cbaker

In a hope to take some of the pressure off of everyone that is waiting for the results and better prepare any of our future applicants, I figured I would start a thread that covers questions everyone was asked on their board. So, please post any questions the designator you are applying for (since some questions will be designator specific). If you want, you can post how you answered the question. If you have applied more than once, I am sure you were asked this first question:

(Intel)
Why do you want to be an Officer?

When I answered the question I focused on leadership. I discussed, what I thought, was a very good example of leadership displayed by an Officer and reflected on my leadership experiences in the Navy.

Why would you make a good Intel Officer?

I talked about how an Intel Officer has to be very analytical and then gave examples of how I am very analytical. I discussed how I will step away from the situation, try to understand another person’s point of view, weigh the pros and cons and then come up with a solution. I also brought up working at a foreign embassy and how exciting it would be to essentially be an ambassador for the US.

(One last note, please make your questions stick out. It will definitely help everyone distinguish what the question is and what your answer was.)

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Lets see....

What is a good characteristic of leadership?

Give me an example of a time you have seen good leadership? And a time that you have seen bad leadership?

If you were not selected for your primary designator, what would your thoughts be about that?

What is the toughest decision you have had to make as a supervisor as of today?

If you walked in to the skippers office and he was getting dressed, what would you do?

What are your thoughts about the current situation in the Middle East?

What is the most rewarding experience that you have had so far in your service? In your lifetime?

What situation has made you feel the worst about yourself?

Who is your daddy and what does he do?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Since you are prior enlisted, are you going to be one of those asshole priors who walks around and treats the rest of the guys like an asshole just because you think you know everything?

JDahl351

Before anyone reads this, I haven't been applying to any Aviation Options. I just found this site to be the most helpful and have the best information for STA-21. So for you Pilot/NFO applicants this may not apply to you or it might be just as helpful as anyone else's advice...

The best advice I got from anyone about these board questions, is to have clear and concise answers for the questions that you know you will be asked. "Why do you want to be an Officer?" "What makes you a good candidate for STA-21?" and then have reasons well articulated answers for the situational ones. This is tricky but you can practice by asking yourself questions about Fraternization, Problems with Chiefs (This has come up for me twice), etc. These questions will kill you if you can't justify your responses. One thing I found helpful is to envision hot topics at my command because nine times out of ten if someone is about to get kicked out for something, I was asked about it. Also, every board that I have had (applied for the last 3 years) has also honed in on weaker points in my package,(for example my pre-navy low college GPA). Each time I've improved my GPA by taking off-duty classes. So you need to have responses for the weaknesses that you know you have. Also be sure to relate your leadership experiences while you were enlisted to your intentions once you're commissioned.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
@cbaker: somebody asked me that question. I figured you would get that considering you started this thread. By the way, I'm STA-21 too...please check my profile.

From Chris's PM:

Wow where did that come from? I guess the first thing I feel I should clear up is I am Enlisted trying to become an Officer.
The second thing I would like to interject is: I always try my best (because I am not perfect) to not talk down on people, I am a firm believer in my favorite quote (please check my profile to see it) and I don't know everything. So no, I don't think I will walk around and treat anyone ill because I think I know everything.

The only reason I started this blog was because I know that was one of my weak points in my package my previous two years. If I am able to put out any information that can help a Sailor that would like to play a more active role in the direction our Navy is heading it is a good thing.
I am sorry you have a nasty taste in your mouth for prior Enlisted. I am doing this so maybe I can help the Navy improve its leadership.

Chris

wernama

I don’t know where all the animosity is coming from on this post...I will say this though, CB has been pretty helpful throughout and looking at posts from previous years, so have you WLAWR...I understand that the boards are supposed to be spontaneous and are focused around getting an honest answer from the sailor but, lets be real, knowing what your going into before hand relieves a lot of stress and allows you to prepare for some questions which are not only going to shape your future but your career as well. Either way, I think that CB is just trying to help as is everyone else who has posted here so no need on bashing anyone or posting PM's to prove anything.

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Since you are prior enlisted, are you going to be one of those asshole priors who walks around and treats the rest of the guys like an asshole just because you think you know everything?

So Wlawr, are you stating that all prior E's are assholes, or just some of us, or the majority??? What is your deal with this? I don't know how much interaction you have had with good senior enlisted leadership, but just in case you didn't know, if it wasn't for your Sailors, know matter what position your in, Branch O, Div O, Dept Head, XO, CO....you WILL FAIL if they are not supportive of your goals. MISSION FIRST. SAILORS ALWAYS.

haubby

None
Contributor
So Wlawr, are you stating that all prior E's are assholes, or just some of us, or the majority??? What is your deal with this? I don't know how much interaction you have had with good senior enlisted leadership, but just in case you didn't know, if it wasn't for your Sailors, know matter what position your in, Branch O, Div O, Dept Head, XO, CO....you WILL FAIL if they are not supportive of your goals. MISSION FIRST. SAILORS ALWAYS.

You guys don't understand. It was a question he was asked on his boards......

wernama

Ha! Wow, at first it looked like he was picking a fight with CB but, I guess it was just a misunderstanding. Oops! The funny thing is that I did get asked that question on one of my boards...Apparently it’s not an un-common question.

cbaker

I was never asked a question like that wlawr005. All my questions stayed professional and talked about leadership like:

If I was the CO of the first sub to get females and had to brief my Department Heads what would I say?
They also brought up the Army Major that refused to take his reserve unit to Iraq and how did I felt about that?

One thing I messed up last year with my replies last year was I focused on my education. I did it because of my poor grades in High School and I had an F in College Algebra from the year before when I bit off more than I could chew. To the board, it seemed like I was only out for a free education.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Thanks Haubby.

Anyway, it turned out to be an important question and one that has stuck with me throughout this process. OC's tend to inherit a sense that they are better than everyone else and sometimes forget that this whole thing is a learning process. Selection for this program demonstrates that the board feels you have shown outstanding leadership potential, and it is your job to go out and hone that potential into actual skill.

I belive the question is intended to remind us of the fact that although we are prior enlisted, we by no means know everything or always have the right answer.

Please forgive any confusion I may have caused.

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Thanks Haubby.

I belive the question is intended to remind us of the fact that although we are prior enlisted, we by no means know everything or always have the right answer.

Please forgive any confusion I may have caused.

W- I am sorry that I read it wrong! I guess you should have prestaged it with the fact that it was a question. I didn't mean to harp on you for it. I totally understand what you have seen with OC's who think higher of themself. My BAD!!

cbaker

Price, you weren't the only one that misunderstood the post well at least I know you got my back. LOL

Now that I have a little more insight on the post I really think that is a strong question and something worth thinking about. I know I have seen plenty of people in the Navy who act like they are better than others. Unfortunately, they tend to be Senior Enlisted and Officers. Wither we get in or not we must ensure we are not one of them..

Now where are all those questions that we were asked on our boards? We have a lot of experiance in here.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
"What do you think an Officer does?"
"Are you doing this to get paid more?"
"Do you think you'll have less work?"
"Will you be able to not act like 'one of the boys' around your Enlisted Sailors?"
"When you see a job not being done correctly, will you jump in and do it, or lead?"
"If you don't get picked up, are you getting out?"
"Will you apply again?"
"What are three good and three bad Officer traits?"
"Are you willing to hold people that you like accountable for things that they've done wrong?"
"Why are you a better applicant than (other applicant)?"
"Let's say you and Chief (a specific mean, salty Chief) get in a disagreement, how would you handle it if he was working for you? If he wasn't? What if it gets heated? Could you fire him? Should you?"
"Are you doing more for the Navy than your Chief is?"
"Why would you rather be an Officer than a Chief?"

I got a question pretty similar to wlawr005's, fwiw.

advantix00

• Who is your favorite President and why?
  • What comes first to you, the mission or your people?
  • Give 3 good traits and 3 bad traits about yourself.
  • How does your family think about your choice into becoming an officer?
  • Are you planning on making the Navy a career and if not/so then why?
  • "So you fancy, huh"?