• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Age Requirements

k_smittay

I've heard from some people too that dual majors are frowned upon...if they find out. So depending upon your unit and school they might force you to graduate early if the right person got wind of that.

Like is was told to me by an OC... your degree plan that you do now.. is just to prove that you CAN complete your degree by the age limit. You will never see the degree plan again, and you will probably change it 100 times before you graduate. You can get a degree in anything you want. Technical degree's are "preferred", but arts and science degrees are logical with the time constraints. If you can get a double major without abusing the program(example...spending 2 extra semesters there), then more power to ya.

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
I'm just going to comment on the way I interpreted the waiver process for STA-21 as I am 27 and will only be attending school for three semesters prior to graduation/commissioning and need a waiver for prior service. It states in the instruction that your CO must address any waiver request for ALL programs in which you apply. I ensured both my CO and the review chairperson had clarifying remarks in their statements requesting a waiver for time already served as well as including remarks in my statement concerning how I would accomplish this in time. Somewhere I read that we are not the ones who apply for the waiver request but the folks at STA-21 will submit the request for those that will require them. Basically acting as a liason for our admin. Sorta like the way they handled submitting our physicals to BUMED and NOMI and didn't want us faxing it directly.

Makes sense Chief, but still confusing in regards to the selection board process, the instruction/NAVADMIN and what was posted earlier about graduating by 29 for CORE.
I say better safe than back to the fleet as 'that guy'.

I may ask the STA-21 office as my backup school will put me over the 27 age limit.

k_smittay

Makes sense Chief, but still confusing in regards to the selection board process, the instruction/NAVADMIN and what was posted earlier about graduating by 29 for CORE.
I say better safe than back to the fleet as 'that guy'.

I may ask the STA-21 office as my backup school will put me over the 27 age limit.

Ask away, but if you have 2 years of active duty service.. it is automatically rolled into your graduation age. So you will have until 29 to graduate. Ed will explain it all to you on the phone.

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
Ask away, but if you have 2 years of active duty service.. it is automatically rolled into your graduation age. So you will have until 29 to graduate. Ed will explain it all to you on the phone.

Can we round up? I have 1.5. Two years in May......

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Can we round up? I have 1.5. Two years in May......

Well, I would guess that the time you'll be at the unit will count as well. After all, you will still be on active service. So, you should be able to use that time for your two years. Additionally, you won't even show up to your unit until April/May at the earliest. Also, waivers are considered on a month for month basis, not year to year. So, if they won't allow you to count the time spent at school, then you would have to go to 18 months as of now, not two years.

Edit: Note, this will also affect your O-1E pay, or potential for not getting it. If you don't have four years of active service, you'll get paid as an O-1 vice an O-1E. Just something to remember, not that you can control it, just don't be surprised about it.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Wow, I leave for a couple of hours and this post blow up. I am sure we have all been waiting for a ECP topic to start. Anyways I read the instruction and that is what confuses me. It specifically states for to complete degree requirements by 27th birthday. Then it says waivers will be considered up to the age of 29. It never states up to your 29th birthday.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Wow, I leave for a couple of hours and this post blow up. I am sure we have all been waiting for a ECP topic to start. Anyways I read the instruction and that is what confuses me. It specifically states for to complete degree requirements by 27th birthday. Then it says waivers will be considered up to the age of 29. It never states up to your 29th birthday.

I think the assumption has to be made that the intent of the instruction was birthday and not year. If it is year then that would mean I could get another whole year. Not that I would go that route...I'd rather be an OC for as little time as possible. Its a bit of a pay cut that I'm not excited about.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

I can pretty much assure you it's two years to your 29th birthday, but don't take that as gospel.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
This is the reason I went NFO vice Pilot.. simply due to tha age restricitions...

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
yeah, I hear ya on that pay cut, I just get Senior Sup pay and poof its gone. Well, at least the Newport, RI BAH will help.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
yeah, I hear ya on that pay cut, I just get Senior Sup pay and poof its gone. Well, at least the Newport, RI BAH will help.

Everyone's taking a pay cut, I'm losing $400 a month in sea pay when I leave for R.I., but the way I see it, giving up $400 a month now in favor of the $1200+ bump in base pay and $200+ bump in BAH (based on 23511) when I start getting O-1E pay is well worht it! :D

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Pay cut + deployment cut + work cut = I'm good.

I hear you! Destroyer duty in today's Navy, with general manning downsizing and people being pulled for IA tours further dwindling our ranks, makes life suck and after 5 years on my ship I can't wait to walk down the brow for the last time with my orders to BOOST in hand! :D