• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Squadron choice?

RunninUte

Ute Nation
Entering advanced is there any student choice of squadron so you can fly the different training aircraft or is it like primary and they rotate?

Rg9

pilot
Coming from TW5 you'll really get a kick of how they do things down here. When you check in, look for the big projector with the excel sheet displayed. That's how they put you in a class (class up dates are the same for both squadrons). The guy who does it, Richard, is pretty reasonable. They randomly assign you, but if you want one squadron or another, ask him and he may be able to do it. They changed my squadron and class up date, which would have put me in VT-31, but since my wife was in the process of moving, I talked to him and he put me back in -35 with a later class up date.

Oh, and speaking of TW4, since you're looking for a place to live, request house hunting leave when you get here.

Btw, STRONG recommendations for VT-35 (where you'll fly the C-12). Just my opinion...

RunninUte

Ute Nation
Appreciate it, was just wondering because one of the first planes I can remember as a kid was a t-44 and wouldn't mind driving it around.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Just so you are aware of the difference, -35 is a much smaller squadron, so you will get to know people a little better...plus or minus, you choose.

As far as the aircraft goes, the little extra range and gas that the C-12 has are nice. Even on contact flights you will get to see alot of different places in S. Texas (Port Isabel, the Valley, Goliad, Victoria etc...) that you don't get to see in the T-44...and training areas other than Seagull...we would often do highwork enroute to somewhere new to bounce. Its not a huge deal, but it is nice to see different fields, pattern altitudes, traffic etc...and the sims for the C-12 are full visual (and not in Building 89!)....-44...not so much.

Last thing I would say is that you will get a type rating in the C-12 and not in the T-44...huge deal? No...but its something.

All of this really isn't that important so choose what you want. Just laying it out for you.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I'll say my piece for -31. Like any training squadron, has some great guys who will take good care of ya and other guys who you would just rather not fly with (not many of these). From my prospective it seems that -35 runs pretty smooth. I might just be a disgruntled T-44C guy who is sick of having no planes to fly and sick of dealing with skeds, but thats just what it looks like from my perspective. Both squadrons will get you where you want to be - and thats at your classes winging party with some wings on your chest.