• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

splenectomy and the medical exam

Stellardark

Hey I was just wondering if I could still be accepted into aviation without a spleen. I had it removed in the sixth grade because I was born with spherocytosis (basically my red blood cells are shaped like balls not donuts and the spleen breaks them down and slowly keeps expanding). Would this keep me from passing a medical exam of any kind? Besides slightly more difficulty in fighting a few sicknesses and the need to seek antibiotics with a fever over 102 degrees their are no other effects. I've also always dreamed of applying for the astronaut program if I become a navy pilot. I was wondering if my lack of a spleen would keep me from passing the astronaut medical exam.

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
K this the one question I don't think anyone can say "use the F%#kin search tool" Holy original question batman!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Google "NOMI aeromedical waiver guide;" that's all I can say. Paging feddoc and Rugger . . .

Stellardark

First off I know thats a tough question to answer but thanks for taking some time to look into it.
The article on splenectomy says that

"Waivers are considered on a case-by-case basis after splenectomy, provided there is full recovery from the condition necessitating the operation."

Well my blood is still funny shaped. Although that doesn't necessarily affect me, it still remains unchanged. Can someone look into spherocytosis to see if that would change anything? Also when exactly do you apply for waivers?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
First off I know thats a tough question to answer but thanks for taking some time to look into it.
The article on splenectomy says that

"Waivers are considered on a case-by-case basis after splenectomy, provided there is full recovery from the condition necessitating the operation."

Well my blood is still funny shaped. Although that doesn't necessarily affect me, it still remains unchanged. Can someone look into spherocytosis to see if that would change anything? Also when exactly do you apply for waivers?

Go back to the link above and see if your hematocrit falls within acceptable ranges.

The huge issue here is that IF your RBCs have a funny shape, the Oxygen molecules may not adhere to them as they should....which could lead to a hypoxic condition.

torpedo0126

K this the one question I don't think anyone can say "use the F%#kin search tool" Holy original question batman!

Hes got four posts and a January join date, its okay...

I remember my first thread. I asked if it was okay to wear brown shoes after I got commissioned. I was subsequently online slammed.