• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Speed Interval Question

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I've been looking into running some speed intervals to lower my 19:20 pft. I've done a great amount of research, but there seems to be no real consensus upon the amount of rest after a single speed interval. Some advocate resting the same amount of time that was spent at the faster pace, while others feel that you should rest for the same distance that you just ran the faster pace, which should be about twice the amount of time.

Assuming interval pace at 6 min/mile and rest at 12 min/mile...

8 400s @ 90 seconds with 90 seconds recovery vs. 8 400s @ 90 seconds with 180 seconds recovery?

Any of you out there running an 18:00 3-mile time have any input?

snake020

Contributor
Generally less rest = better. When I was doing cross country and track workouts around the track, usually we'd walk or slow jog a 400 after each 400 interval. Another workout we were doing was 16 x 400 @ 70-75 seconds with 3 min rest between each lap for one workout and we were running in the low 17s for a 5000m (3.1 mi), although I think that was more to help us with the 1500m. That being said, I don't think you need to do 16 x 400, but if you want to get your 3 mile time down, your goal should be no lower than hitting in the low 80s on your intervals.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I think you should rest for the same distance...it gives your muscles more of a chance to recover and become more efficient when you go back to sprinting.

However, it might pay you to contact the local college and ask for their strength and conditioning coach.

thull

The reason there's no concensus is because it all depends on where you are in your training. If you're at the peak of your training/fitness, you'll hardly need to jog a 400 after every 400 interval. you'd instead take maybe thirty seconds jogging in place, then whip out another 400.

If you're out of shape, you'll need almost a complete recovery after each 400. Somewhere in between? jog a 200 between 400s..

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Tjog a 200 between 400s..

Thats actually about what it worked out to. Instead of 400s, I went at a 10mph pace for 2 min and then a 5.5mph for 2 min for 8 total intervals, excluding 1 mile warmup and 3/4 mile cooldown. So essentially I jogged for about half the distance that I ran when the intensity was high.

If anyone hates running, this was the quickest I've ever felt 6 miles go by. Not to mention you definitely get that "runner's high" afterwards. This will be a weekly part of my training from now on. Every week I'd like to be able to cut 10 seconds off the recovery time from each interval and see how I progress.