• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Solving the HT dilemma - extend life of TH-57 - move 30% of syllabus to sims

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Are they "expensive" compared to sailors doing the maintenance or are they legitimately more expensive to have civilians doing the work than the sailors in an hour to hour comparison? After all, I thought the reason we had contact maintenance was because it was cheaper than hiring, training, housing, etc.. our own sailors?

Contract maintenance is more expensive, but is a different pot of money now, with the hope of controlling some long term costs 15-30 years down the road.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Are they "expensive" compared to sailors doing the maintenance or are they legitimately more expensive to have civilians doing the work than the sailors in an hour to hour comparison? After all, I thought the reason we had contact maintenance was because it was cheaper than hiring, training, housing, etc.. our own sailors?
Bert hit it pretty well. Whether it reduces the overall DoD budget I don't know. But it probably reduces the manpower and therefore how much of the budget goes to pay for retirements and what not. Support contractors seem to be a good fit for work that needs to get done, the scope and duration is variable, and it doesn't fit into the Navys Manning and career progression model. Things like maintenance for training and test squadrons. Or niche operators like sim instructors and test pilots. However, for an organization that has to budget and fund these contracts theyre expensive when the same organization doesn't have to budget and fund for military manpower. For instance, CNATRA and CNAL have to have funding to pay for the contractors who do maintenance at the TRARONs and FRSs. They don't have to have funding to pay for their active duty military IPs. To CNAL and CNATRA the IPs are free. To someone upstream like NPC or OPNAV manpower (I've forgotten that N code) they have to have funding to put into your accounts in the 1st and 15th of every month.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Have been in the services game - the rate you charge your client is comprised of : 33% to pay the people actually doing the work, 33% for your overhead, executive pay, business lunches, etc, and 33% for profit.