• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Solving the HT dilemma - extend life of TH-57 - move 30% of syllabus to sims

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yes, its real folks. 30% (or more) of syllabus going to advanced sims.

- Existing CPT's and sims being disposed
- New high fidelity / linked sims that will be used to instruct everything from early FAM's, HTAC's, to existing RI/BI syllabus events
-Stop gap until the funding problem can be resolved and a new single engine IFR aircraft can be procured (or the helo training consolidation folks finally win).

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...s-navy-seeks-helo-simulators-primary-training

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Let's be clear, this is an article quoting a representative for a contractor that wants to bid on this idea. That doesn't mean he actually knows what the syllabus will entail, though with improved fidelity, it's understandable to do more events in the sim. I'm also curious about the HPD of 18 hours that was quoted. That's typically more than allowed for sustained use, as it cuts into maintenance time.

With the -57s starting to come back up online and the bidding process (and I'd be unsurprised if someone contests), plus build time/test time, it will be some time before students are doing "30%" of the syllabus (which I didn't see mentioned in the article).

ChuckMK23

pilot
I made up the 30%, but having a ton of expertise in this space, it would make little sense for CNATRA to pursue this route if it didn't amount to at least 30% of the training.

I am going to ping the program lead and get the story. Turns out the program leader is a good buddy of a GE colleague of mine (both former Marine O-6's). This will be interesting.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I think the -60 SIM is a pretty good representation of how flying the -60 is. Especially when you're working systems and EPs that you can't easily do in the a/c. I don't see a big issue with putting a lot of emphasis in the SIM. Yes, it's harder to take seriously because you've got no skin in the game. However, I don't think studs get to the point where they don't take them seriously. At least I hadn't, took a year or two in the fleet to where I had specific things I wanted to work on in the sim and wasn't doing a checklist to start the aircraft. I suspect a -57 SIM that's up to date would do just fine teaching a stud to fly instruments and substituting some of the flight time for it. Hell, I never thought a piece of black cardboard really did much anyways.

nukon

pilot
Let's be clear, this is an article quoting a representative for a contractor that wants to bid on this idea. That doesn't mean he actually knows what the syllabus will entail, though with improved fidelity, it's understandable to do more events in the sim. I'm also curious about the HPD of 18 hours that was quoted. That's typically more than allowed for sustained use, as it cuts into maintenance time.

With the -57s starting to come back up online and the bidding process (and I'd be unsurprised if someone contests), plus build time/test time, it will be some time before students are doing "30%" of the syllabus (which I didn't see mentioned in the article).

While I don't disagree, I do feel it's at lest worth mentioning that the contractor named in the article just retired last year as the CO of MATSG-21, which owns all the Marines at Whiting Field. Maybe he knows something we don't. Regardless, glad to hear the sims are getting addressed. Low/hover work in the old sims was negative training, and the one 'NVG capable' device they had was mostly just black tape over the cockpit lights.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That makes it all the more suspect to me. As someone who's lived in the "here are your new sims...wait...okay, now these people will make the sims....wait....okay, NOW you'll get new sims..." world for the last 3 years, maybe I'm jaded. And that was with already approved funding.

I missed this last year's (2016) TMT conference, so I'm not sure if this was on the list, but it wasn't anywhere near the top of the list the previous two years, so I'm with Jim...where is the funding to make this happen? Maybe it's there, but that's where I would want to start for info.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Am I mistaken, or is this an article in an industry blog, driven by quotes from a new business development type guy, about an RFP that hasn't been released, for something that isn't a program of record?

ChuckMK23

pilot
Am I mistaken, or is this an article in an industry blog, driven by quotes from a new business development type guy, about an RFP that hasn't been released, for something that isn't a program of record?
If so, then genius!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

That's what I was getting at. No one (here) seems to be able to say this is a program of record yet, in which case, it's all mental masturbation.