• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So long Alpacas...

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
wow no alpacas? as far as i'm concerned there is absolutely no incentive to ever go back to milton now...that is assuming that there was an incentive in the first place.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I dunno if the people who run the alpaca farm are tree-huggers or not, but they managed to scare big Navy into telling us that if we fly over it, we'd possibly lose our wings. Go figure, fuckin' hairy ass nasty alpacas. :rolleyes:

Someone flew over the alpaca farm. One of the alpaca's freaked out and ran into the fence and broke its leg. The owner called and complained. The end result was the no fly zone.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Someone flew over the alpaca farm. One of the alpaca's freaked out and ran into the fence and broke its leg. The owner called and complained. The end result was the no fly zone.

Little more complicated than that, the owner sued the Govt and won a settlement for a decent amount of money...thus a no fly at any alt above...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Are there still burritos at Florala airport? That place was responsible for my height weight standards waiver as an IP at '18 :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be honest I've never seen the place from ground level.
There's a shitton of billboards on I-95 for the place covering most of South Carolina. They've usually got some cheesy fat bandido "Pedro" with a sombrero and a huge mustache, and quite a few also play on the old stereotype about how Hispanic people "speeka da eeenglish, Señor." After about 100 miles of that stuff, it gets old.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
There's a shitton of billboards on I-95 for the place covering most of South Carolina. They've usually got some cheesy fat bandido "Pedro" with a sombrero and a huge mustache, and quite a few also play on the old stereotype about how Hispanic people "speeka da eeenglish, Señor." After about 100 miles of that stuff, it gets old.

It is a tourist trap. Grew up just a few miles from I-95 in SC - the billboards were part of the normal scenery you saw every day. A parody can be seen in The Simpsons episode "Bart vs. Australia." Marge and Lisa visit a gift shop titled South O' the Equator Gift Shoppe. Pedro is featured in the window of the gift shop with a sign stating "Pedro Sez: Eet's High Koala-T!"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sigh. Didn't even know that place existed before taking 95 through the Carolinas. Racist much? Not you, the mascot.
I've seen plenty of fat dudes wearing sombreros and serapes in Mexico who speak in broken English. Not sure why that's considered a racist portrayal. It's no different from using someone in a cowboy outfit to represent a western themed establishment, and I don't think anyone would bat an eye at that, right?