• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

so disappointed- did worse after a month of pt

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
yeah, i know. that's why i'm not able to do a single pullup on the VFT. after the vft, i was able to do 2 with a spotter because i can do pullups if i can bend my legs 90 degrees, but vft is supposed to be straight legs, and a 90 degree bend is disqualifying. with straight legs, i can't do any for some reason. and it also seems to depend on if i can get a good grip on the bar or not. the different bars at vmi all seem to have different slickness. oh well, i suppose these details will stop mattering if i can get a bit stronger in my upper body.

fun fun. i'll be showing up to vmi on 17th or 23rd depending on if i quit cross-country or not...

Don't worry, I bend my legs all of the time. Again, work on lat pull-downs and do more pull-ups and you should be alright.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, if you can find an assisted pullup machine in a gym that could help you with transitioning to legitimate pullups. You can adjust what percentage of your body weight you are pulling up and after some training you can work up to doing an unassisted one.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Except that assisted pullup machines usually have your legs bent at 90 degrees, so it won't help too much.

WIDGET

CC training also isn't going to make you faster for your short runs (ie, the 1.5 mi run), since you were already at an extremely good score to begin with at sub 10 min.

spot on! if you're training distance, you're turning your fast-twitch muscle fibers (those used for short bursts of activitiy) into slow-twitch fibers (used for endurance runs). as spekkio said, which isn't going to help your shorter run time.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
spot on! if you're training distance, you're turning your fast-twitch muscle fibers (those used for short bursts of activitiy) into slow-twitch fibers (used for endurance runs). as spekkio said, which isn't going to help your shorter run time.

Not exactly. You have three types of muscle fibers.

Fast twitch (Type IIb), slow twitch (Type I), and then another type which is a mix of both (Type IIa). The third type (Type IIa) is the one that can be modified into more of a fast or slow twitch.

But yes, your point is still valid. Although 1.5 isn't really a sprint, nor is it distance. The bottom line is that it's best to do a lot of runs 3-4 miles, and mix in sprinting with that. Time should come down regardless. Running is mostly mental, and for me the mental part for me becomes a lot easier when I've been running 3-4 and then get tested on 1.5. The shorter distance allows me, mentally, to push MUCH harder than I would otherwise and blast the 1.5.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
fun fun. i'll be showing up to vmi on 17th or 23rd depending on if i quit cross-country or not...

Stick with it! I can't speak specifically to VMI (USNA '02), but staying on the women's cross-country team at Navy was one of the best things I could have done my first year. I ended up quitting later on that spring when I decided I really didn't want to be a Div-I athlete, but for that first semester especially, being able to get off base for a run and be with people whose interest at the time was running and being a team, rather than harrassing me, was great. Good Luck!

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Or use the GAZELLE

tony_little.jpg

THAT WOMAN? SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!:eek::eek::eek:

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
THAT WOMAN? SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!:eek::eek::eek:

i have a classmate with upper arms like the woman in the pic. :eek: my new classmate did something like 14 straight pullups on the first vmi fitness test this summer. (me <== 2 now) fortunately, i can outrun her haha. ;)