• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Vision Requirements

JodFour

So I've recently been accepted to OCS under the designation of SNA, and I just wanted to clear something up real quick. I'm aware that for applicants you need 20/40 uncorrected and correctable to 20/20. However my vision is 20/100 uncorrected, and 20/20 corrected.

(All numbers based off page 4 of this document) http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/01_Physical_Standards.pdf

The fact that I am 20/100 uncorrected was well known throughout the application process and my recruiter told me not to worry, and to get LASIK once I'm in. As I'm slated for the January 29th class date, I don't think I have the option of LASIK anymore.

At this point I'm expecting to be medically disqualified for SNA at some point through the process, even though my recruiter has told me previously not to worry. Am I wrong here?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So I've recently been accepted to OCS under the designation of SNA, and I just wanted to clear something up real quick. I'm aware that for applicants you need 20/40 uncorrected and correctable to 20/20. However my vision is 20/100 uncorrected, and 20/20 corrected.

(All numbers based off page 4 of this document) http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/01_Physical_Standards.pdf

The fact that I am 20/100 uncorrected was well known throughout the application process and my recruiter told me not to worry, and to get LASIK once I'm in. As I'm slated for the January 29th class date, I don't think I have the option of LASIK anymore.

At this point I'm expecting to be medically disqualified for SNA at some point through the process, even though my recruiter has told me previously not to worry. Am I wrong here?

You can't even apply if you don't have an N3M letter - and for that you need to be within pilot standards. Your recruiter probably put you in for NFO.

JodFour

You can't even apply if you don't have an N3M letter - and for that you need to be within pilot standards. Your recruiter probably put you in for NFO.

In my FINSEL letter it states that I am in under the SNA designation 1390 though. I did apply for SNFO as well, however the FINSEL letter only mentions the SNA designation.

JodFour

They recorded my vision as 20/20 and told me not to worry about taking my lenses out when I mentioned that I wore contacts.

JodFour

I just checked my paperwork and it looks like that is indeed the case. However my prescription was also sent in with my package, which clearly states that I am uncorrected 20/100 and correctable to 20/20. Would they just disregard the prescription and go with the MEPS paperwork? I've been very transparent (I thought) through this whole process that my vision is 20/100 uncorrected.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I just checked my paperwork and it looks like that is indeed the case. However my prescription was also sent in with my package, which clearly states that I am uncorrected 20/100 and correctable to 20/20. Would they just disregard the prescription and go with the MEPS paperwork? I've been very transparent (I thought) through this whole process that my vision is 20/100 uncorrected.

It appears MEPS did an oversight with your vision exam. As @NavyOffRec said, be ready to redes to NFO (assuming you clear NAMI) at OCS.

JodFour

So even though it states in the same set of documents that I wear contacts and glasses, they'll just assume I'm actually 20/20 due to that error?

Is there anything at all I can do about this? Such as defer/decline the opportunity and try again with a LASIK waiver? (Or is declining a spot get you put on what is essentially an OCS blacklist?)
Otherwise I'll need to make sure I'm fully committed to becoming an SNFO.

JodFour

N3M and MEPS never read that documentation.

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping to get an answer as my recruiter is no help at all. Is there anything I can do at all instead of just show up at OCS knowing my vision doesn't meet the mark? Can I defer for medical reasons, get LASIK, then if everything is fine I could get a new date? Am I just flat out screwed because my recruiter lied to me by saying that my vision is fine when it does not in fact meet the standards?

FormerRecruitingGuru

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping to get an answer as my recruiter is no help at all. Is there anything I can do at all instead of just show up at OCS knowing my vision doesn't meet the mark? Can I defer for medical reasons, get LASIK, then if everything is fine I could get a new date? Am I just flat out screwed because my recruiter lied to me by saying that my vision is fine when it does not in fact meet the standards?

There's no proof your recruiter lied. He or she submitted MEPS documents to N3M and somehow an oversight made you qualified for pilot.

As for LASIK, turning down an opportunity will completely sever your chances of getting accepted several months down the road. For anything, you are being offered to become a commissioned officer and by turning it down you're essentially telling the navy you're joining for a job and not to become an officer.

You're 22 years old, probably don't have a job or a very underpaying one. More than likely don't have the best living arrangements either. It would be almost foolish to pass up an opportunity to serve as an officer.