• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Medical Question

zucc3636

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please bear with me if I ask a question that has been answered elsewhere. I've been reading up on AirWarriors for a while now and have not found a straightforward answer to my question. I am currently a senior in college on track to graduate May 2021 and I'm very interested in applying to OCS as a SNA. However, when I was younger I got migraines with aura. I have not had one in a few years, and when I was still getting them the severity and duration both had been decreasing significantly. I believe I would meet the requirements for a waiver, except for the fact that my migraines included aura. I was prescribed medication several years ago and this is in my medical record, but I have not taken the prescription since it was originally prescribed. On the aeromedical guide, it states that migraine with aura is CD with no waivers considered, but I have read on the forum instances where people have been able to obtain a waiver for migraine with aura. I wonder if anyone has any insight as to whether I would have a chance of making it as a naval aviator given this circumstance, or if there would be no reason for them to even consider me. I also wonder how this would work during my application process. Would I get all the way to OCS before I had a flight physical just be to DQ'd? This would be a dream job for me, so I do not want to leave any stone unturned. Any tips/ info/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Can't answer your question but could link you to this, Doc's Corner: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/forums/docs-corner.20/ . Best place for these types of questions if you want a flight doc to see it.

Do realize there are some things that are waiverable if they happen post wings, but not if you are applying already diagnosed with it. Other things can be waiverable for both. All is delineated in the waiver guide but it's not the easiest to read, even when you have experience dealing with it (the guide).

Edit: if honest during the application process, it would be decided before you got accepted based on whatever the criteria is, with some followup tests once accepted. I had childhood asthma, did tests to prove it wasn't a thing anymore during the application process before being submitted to the board, then got tested again at OCS.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Candidates face a very small aperture when it comes to physical standards. There are enough people in Naval aviation who get migraines that there's a pretty decent experience base. I would recommend you get a recruiter to contact NAMI Neurology and see which way the winds are blowing before you go too far down the road.
V/R

zucc3636

Candidates face a very small aperture when it comes to physical standards. There are enough people in Naval aviation who get migraines that there's a pretty decent experience base. I would recommend you get a recruiter to contact NAMI Neurology and see which way the winds are blowing before you go too far down the road.
V/R
Thanks for the advice!