• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke

Working on my package for OCS and have a question. My PFT is going fine but I smoke. I would like to quit and need some suggestions. Should I just let OCS beat it out of me or quit ahead of time. Techniqes?
21:00 3mile
25 pullups
100 crunches
2 packs a day

farkle84

i dont smoke, but i would try to quit before OCS. This way you wont get withdrawals at OCS, you already have enough to worry about when you are there. 2 packs a day, wow, thats a lot. my pre-OCS time for the 3 mile was 21:00 and when i was done it was down to a 19:30. if you quit smoking it will make it tens times easier on you. plus you dont want to smoke if you apply for the air contract. smoking can lead to heart and lung problems, allergies, and asthma and the could disqualify you from air contract. a lot of guys that i knew who smoked before OCS said they switched to dip for a while then they eventually quite. good luck quitting

jwnole

I smoked for a ouple of years at the beginning of college and quit by chewing red man and then sunflower seeds. I no longer use nicotene. Its beed 4 yars. I know its gross but my lungs have been fantastic since. Trust me, even a week without cigaretts will make you feel like a whole different person. Youll never want to have dirty lungs again.

good luck.

-josh

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Must agree with quiting before OCS. I smoked for several years - but quit a year or so before OCS. Stress levels went through the roof, shakes, didn't sleep well at night, realy bi***Y too. This lasted for 2 to 3 weeks. You don't need that kind of stuff while at OCS. It's difficult enough, you'll be stressed out enough, and you don't need the added trouble of snapping half way through and making everyone think you're an ass. They'll ride you till you quit or decide not to come back. Trust me, make it easier on yourself, drop it RIGHT NOW and be done with the worry.

aslam

I know of a guy who went to USMC OCS as a smoker. I guess cigarettes are contraband (?) and he was caught smoking. The DI made him chain smoke something ridiculous like 3 or 4 packs continously. Apparently he never smoked another cigarette after that, but I'm sure his withdrawals were not pleasant, esp during OCS.

ASLAM.

NuSnake

i had a fiend at paris island and one guy there had brought in some dip....haha...well, the DI caught him up one night havin himself a little, so the DI made him eat the whole can. My buddy said he was pukin for days.

davidsin

I quit about a year ago cold turkey. I was a smoker since high school. It was hard at first-especially after meals and in the mornings, but after a few weeks the cigs taste nasty. You're pft is amazingly high for a 2 pack a day person. It's a good thing to quit, not only to avoid added ocs stress, but to be a healthier and more effective Marine. You'll feel much better in the long run.

------------------------------------------
Semper Fi

fiveyearsdead

jboomer,
you said that you smoked for several years. My question is whether or not being a smoker will affect one's application. Also, I have read that they do a chest x-ray as part of the flight physical. Could being a smoker hurt your chances here? Any comments appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.