• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Simultaneously applying for Marines and Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Right now I'm planning to apply for October 2003 Marine OCS. I can't turn in an application for that class until at least next spring, probably not until next summer, and I don't know if there are even going to be slots available at that time anyway. I want to be a Marine, but joining the Marines specifically is not as important to me as serving my country in some way. So, I'm thinking about applying for Navy OCS as well. I'd like to know if there's anyone here who's gone through a similar situation, or has any advice on this. What kinds of conflicts might come up applying for both services? It seems like most Navy candidates have to contract at least a year out of OCS, while you can't even start applying to Marine OCC until a couple of months beforehand. Would I have to commit permanently to the Navy before I'd have a chance to apply for the Marines?

Adrenaline Rush

esday, i was in the same exact predicament (sp?) my first choice was navy because my former boss enchanted me with his experience as a naval aviator,,, then i was rejected by the navy, i know that all i have to do is score better on the astb (and god willing) i would get in,, but.......i talked to the oso (and other marines that are in active duty now) over on the marines side, and now i have completely changed my mind and would love the oportunity to be a marine officer...(and if you want to know why i changed my mind, private message me)

anyways the major conflict when you apply to two at the same time:
Astb Scores: You cannot take this test (if your taking it for the first time) twice without a 30 day wait period after taking it your first time, I wouldn't count on the navy or the marines giving your scores to the other branch, so theoretically you would have to wait a month after applying to one branch , to apply to the other..but what i would suggest is that you take the astb, then stall the application, or maybe you still need time for the recommendations to come in etc, this way the gap between applications is less than a month, the reason you would do this is because i believe they expect you to sign the dotted line within 30 days of being offered your slot...
Also you may have problems with transferring your physical over,, the navy would not give my physical over to the marines, so i will probably have to take it over again,, oh well

Finally the physical tests are two entirely different ballgames, the navy is (in my opinion very easy) compared to the marine physical test, navy : 1.5 mile run (max time 12 mins) 47 pushups (i think) and 48 (situps may be off here),, whereas the marines : 3miles (24 mins max time) 10 pullups (min) (80 situps ?? not sure what the min is)

Let your heart tell you which service you want to serve in,

Best of Luck

tflexxin

Actually, the Marine Corps PFT is a 3 mile run with a max time of around 28 or something like that, 100 situps in 2 minutes, and 20 dead hang pullups, not timed. To be competitive for selection, you must be hitting around a 250 or above for the board to find you competitive for selection. It's by far the toughtest physical fitness test in the armed services

Adrenaline Rush

where did you get that info tflexxin?? my oso said 10 pullups min and 24 mins on the run, but thats really not even competitive,,, 20 pullups?? 100 situps in 2 mins??? dude thats the max you can do not the min.

jonww

Hey Guys my name is Jon and I have just been accepted to PLC this summer, and my OSO has being telling everyone to just be competitive you need 15 pullups, 100 situps in 2 min, and 3-mile run in 22:00 min. He said we had to get these numbers.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
My main concern right now is that if I applied for Navy, I'd have to commit to them before I would have a chance of applying for the Marines. The gunny I talked to first at the selection office told me that both the physical and the ASTB scores should be good for either service. I wonder if the problems getting those transferred might just be a result of the Navy recruiter not having any incentive to go through the hassle of getting the Marines your records, and vice versa.

As for the PFT and PRT, it seems like the Navy and Marines have different ways of evaluating them, not just slightly different tests. The Navy puts you in a category and sub-category from "satisfactory-marginal" to "outstanding-high" (or something like that) on each test, then evaluates you based on your lowest category, with a fixed minimum you need to hit to be qualified in each category. The Marines give point values to how you score, then compare overall scores. A perfect PFT score would be 20 PU, 100 situps, and 18 min, although a "balanced" score to get a 255 would be around 17 pull-ups, 85 sit-ups, and a 20:30 run. Right now I'm close to maxing the run and sit-ups, but I'm only doing 12-13 pull-ups (although I was at 8 this summer so it's getting there) or 55 push-ups.

Anyway, AR, I sent you a private email about reasons for choosing the Marines vs. the Navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.