• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I pick up a masters before OCS or apply in a few months? (I'm a Senior in university) & my goal is TPS

rr-10

I don't want to sound like one of those stubborn/arrogant people who haven't even entered OCS, let alone flight training and are talking about making it into the test pilot field one day. So forgive me if I come off that way. I was just re-directed to this forum again from the r/newtothenavy subreddit. They really admire you guys there. Some background: I am a dual American/Candian university senior studying in Ontario, Canada for my Bachelor of Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering (3.8/4), accredited by CEAB (Canadian equivalent of ABET). I hope to do my MS in Mechanical Engineering at either Purdue or Georgia Tech (hopefully fully funded), and then apply to OCS. I can't stay in state, because my state of NY has ridiculous tuition costs for either Cornell or Columbia. I don't want to enter the Navy with over 80,000$ debt from an ivy league or private masters without funding.

I know about the NPS, and I know that a masters is highly desirable for TPS, and since I would apply for funding, it would be "free" for me anyways at a civilian university. So might as well pick it up before joining to get that stress off my back. Here are my questions, regarding Naval Test Pilot school and just generally thinking ahead about my future career ambitions:

1. Which track tends to get the most seats in Test Pilot School? I care more about getting into Test Pilot School than the actual track which I would hope to fly
  2. I was told that, after finishing the FRS & ~3 yr fleet, then one can be up for TPS. Does that mean, that candidates realistically only have one chance to make it?
  3. Will a Canadian bachelors be grounds for denial? I had no trouble getting jobs in America, since ABET recognizes CEAB accredited degrees. I'm just not sure if it is the same for the military
  4. Generally, do you have any tips for someone who wants to go into the Navy with the goal of being a Test Pilot in mind? I know its a marathon and I should take one thing at a time. I just want to make sure that I make no mistakes which will negatively affect me in the future. Should I focus on getting a near 4.0 GPA for masters? being the best aviator I can? building a great relationship with my prospective chain of command? etc.
Thank you very much for reading. I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas, and amazing rest of your evening!

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ll let others chime in with specifics, but as a CO who has sent several guys there, TPS is not particularly competitive in terms of getting in. I’m sure a relevant graduate degree would boost your chances, but it is by no means necessary. With a solid academic record, good FITREP and CO’s recommendation from your first tour, you shouldn’t have trouble getting in.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Not a TPS guy. That said know a few that have gone. In general a masters is definitely not required. I would guess that yes it would help. A bachelors, high GPA (3.8 is great) in a STEM background is the main pre-req. Then do well in your fleet tour. As far as aircraft go it's always changing what TPS is focusing on; I have no SA as to what community/ies give you the best odds of getting picked up. I'd guess fixed wing, but I'm sure they need helo guys too.

OscarMyers

None
Just picked up with an undergrad in Aeronautics from ERAU (not an engineering degree) and three masters classes under my belt. Granted I am also an E-2 NFO so it is a little less competitive. TPS counts towards a Masters degree at Johns Hopkins and from what the TPS Skipper was telling me they're trying to make it worth a Masters degree like the AF TPS does. Take a look at the NPC site, It has everything the board values to include some pretty in-depth numbers of the traits that were selected on the previous few boards.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I’ll let others chime in with specifics, but as a CO who has sent several guys there, TPS is not particularly competitive in terms of getting in. I’m sure a relevant graduate degree would boost your chances, but it is by no means necessary. With a solid academic record, good FITREP and CO’s recommendation from your first tour, you shouldn’t have trouble getting in.
Are you trying to goad us nerds?

Seriously though, TPS selectivity is highly dependent on both platform and timing. I witnessed a board where there were 25 rotary candidates for 1 slot. The selectee was a long #1 EP with all his quals, a high GPA, and an engineering MS. He wasn't the only candidate with those stats. OTOH, I also know a recent board had only 1 rotary applicant.

Generally, NFOs seem to have an easier time applying. My suspicion is that TPS doesn't hold the same mystique for people who aren't stick-monkeys (AKA meat servos), so there aren't as many NFO applicants. Jet pilots also get a second look in the NFO tank (if there aren't enough qualified NFO applicants), so it's easier for them than us "rotes."

I'm not sure how selective it is for big-wing pilots.

For the OP, you don't need an MS for TPS. It helps, but it won't make up for not having the following: #1/#2 EP out of JO tour, ALL of the quals available to you, hours/experience, TIMING.

If you want a rigorous MS in a specific major (of your choice), AND you're not approaching 27 years of age, then I suggest getting it before OCS. MS options post-TPS are primarily distance learning and far from fulfilling (mostly a check-in-the-box). You do not want the career risk of an in-residence MS post-commissioning (it eats up too much time).

You can realistically apply for TPS approx. three times. You need your highwater (last) FITREP from your first fleet tour (or CO's statement of what it will be), and you need to have enough time left to serve at least 24 months in a test tour before your DH tour. That is what brackets your timing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you trying to goad us nerds?
I've built my entire career on doing just that. :D

I should have said that it's not that competitive for jet guys (right now), but that is always a moving target... caveat emptor.

Pags

N/A
pilot
A lot of it also depends on what's in development for your platform/warfare area and whether the test squadrons need additional bodies for a big program or if it's just normal personnel rotation within a test program of a static size. I've seen RW folks go on to UX-24 to work MQ-8 because that project was in it's initial DT and needed bodies. I also know of C-2 pilots who spent most of their time working P-8 because that's where VX-20 needed the manpower.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
As mentioned above you can keep applying. Know at least two people who were declined, then picked up on subsequent applications. One had already PCS'd to the FRS and started training there when picked up. So it's not a one-shot deal. But late JO fleet tour is the timing you'd want to aim for.

Reg-A-Muffin0716

Resist, Retaliate, Press Forward!
I don't want to sound like one of those stubborn/arrogant people who haven't even entered OCS, let alone flight training and are talking about making it into the test pilot field one day. So forgive me if I come off that way. I was just re-directed to this forum again from the r/newtothenavy subreddit. They really admire you guys there. Some background: I am a dual American/Candian university senior studying in Ontario, Canada for my Bachelor of Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering (3.8/4), accredited by CEAB (Canadian equivalent of ABET). I hope to do my MS in Mechanical Engineering at either Purdue or Georgia Tech (hopefully fully funded), and then apply to OCS. I can't stay in state, because my state of NY has ridiculous tuition costs for either Cornell or Columbia. I don't want to enter the Navy with over 80,000$ debt from an ivy league or private masters without funding.

I know about the NPS, and I know that a masters is highly desirable for TPS, and since I would apply for funding, it would be "free" for me anyways at a civilian university. So might as well pick it up before joining to get that stress off my back. Here are my questions, regarding Naval Test Pilot school and just generally thinking ahead about my future career ambitions:

1. Which track tends to get the most seats in Test Pilot School? I care more about getting into Test Pilot School than the actual track which I would hope to fly
  2. I was told that, after finishing the FRS & ~3 yr fleet, then one can be up for TPS. Does that mean, that candidates realistically only have one chance to make it?
  3. Will a Canadian bachelors be grounds for denial? I had no trouble getting jobs in America, since ABET recognizes CEAB accredited degrees. I'm just not sure if it is the same for the military
  4. Generally, do you have any tips for someone who wants to go into the Navy with the goal of being a Test Pilot in mind? I know its a marathon and I should take one thing at a time. I just want to make sure that I make no mistakes which will negatively affect me in the future. Should I focus on getting a near 4.0 GPA for masters? being the best aviator I can? building a great relationship with my prospective chain of command? etc.
Thank you very much for reading. I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas, and amazing rest of your evening!

You said you don't wanna go to Cornell or Columbia. Why not try Marist? They got a great Computer Science/Software Development MS program. Also, I'm contemplating on getting my Master's (MA) in Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) there someday.

About OCS, you really don't need a Master's degree. As long as you ace the ASTB (45+/5+/6+/6+), you should be good to go!

Last edited:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Also, OP, don't pick your platform based on your TPS aspirations. You will have ZERO chance of correctly guessing (a) which platform gives you the best chance of selecting TPS 5-6 years after primary, or (b) how said community will treat TPS grads at the ACSB 4-5 years after your test tour.