• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shotgun Advice

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Gun-nut denizens of Airwarriors, I am in need of some shotgun help.

My wife has started getting into trap/skeet. Our anniversary is coming up and I want to get her an over-under 20ga. I don't want to spent a ton of money, I just want a good, basic, reliable, over-under for her. She's not big into our 12 ga and prefers the over-under vs pump action for trap/skeet.

Got any advice?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
For trap/skeet I like my Beretta A400, which is an automatic. Light recoil for a 12ga and you can't beat the rate of fire. If you're looking for a more inexpensive O/U, I got to play around with a Spartan 310 a couple years back. Fairly nice gun if a little, well, Spartan. Not a ton of frills but it shot pretty well. His was a 12ga but I'm pretty sure they make them in 20 as well.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
My wife has started getting into trap/skeet. Our anniversary is coming up and I want to get her an over-under 20ga. I don't want to spent a ton of money, I just want a good, basic, reliable, over-under for her. She's not big into our 12 ga and prefers the over-under vs pump action for trap/skeet.

Got any advice?

Has she shot a lot of over/unders? I would certainly consider a good gas operated semi-auto to reduce felt recoil. In addition, for trap and skeet you have no need for different chokes on sequential shots so a single barrel gun is fine.

That being said, if she is set on an over/under I would not go cheap new cheap I would instead look at high quality used. Beretta or Franchi would be my choice. I would also suggest that unless you're looking at also hauling it around looking for birds that you get a model specifically designed for clay shooting. It will be a little heavier which helps keeping your swing going as well as reducing the recoil. I have a Beretta 686S that I bought used in 1990 and have on the order of 100,000 rounds through (most from my days of competitive skeet shooting) and I have never had a failure. You won't get that level of performance from a cheap o/u.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Beretta 390/391 if your on a budget. Not an over under but is a great and versatile weapon, mine is in 12ga but you could feed it any ammo and it shoots, every time. I've owned an 11-87 and it was tempermental, maybe I just got a lemon. The beretta can be had for around 6 bills.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Get a 12 gauge and put 20 gauge inserts in. You'll find more support for a 12 gauge than 20, opens the variety of weapon choices and will give you the option of 12 gauge if you want it.

Plus, you can drop 28 gauge inserts into a 12 gauge to make it really challenging and I'm not for sure if they make inserts for a 20 to 28 gauge.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Plus, you can drop 28 gauge inserts into a 12 gauge to make it really challenging and I'm not for sure if they make inserts for a 20 to 28 gauge.

Briley http://www.briley.com/companiondrop-intubesets.aspx makes any gauge of tube sets and I have all three gauges (20, 28, .410) for my beretta but unless you're going to shoot registered skeet there's no need to go that way. While 28 gauge is my favorite (and the only one I ever hit 400 straight at in skeet) it is expensive to shoot unless you're going to reload.

As I said, a nice gas operated semi-auto in 20 gauge will suite the bill. I've had good luck with 1187 but if y0u want to spend a few more bills there are better.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Briley http://www.briley.com/companiondrop-intubesets.aspx makes any gauge of tube sets and I have all three gauges (20, 28, .410) for my beretta but unless you're going to shoot registered skeet there's no need to go that way. While 28 gauge is my favorite (and the only one I ever hit 400 straight at in skeet) it is expensive to shoot unless you're going to reload.

As I said, a nice gas operated semi-auto in 20 gauge will suite the bill. I've had good luck with 1187 but if y0u want to spend a few more bills there are better.

Yeah, my point was more in the sense that a nice 12 gauge with 20 gauge inserts will basically give you two guns and I feel like there are more options available for a good shotgun in the 12 gauge field.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Yeah, my point was more in the sense that a nice 12 gauge with 20 gauge inserts will basically give you two guns and I feel like there are more options available for a good shotgun in the 12 gauge field.

IMO there is no need for a 12 gauge at skeet and very little in the upland field. I've shot most of my pheasants over the pup in the last decade with a 28 or 20 gauge. When I shot skeet hard core I shot 1 oz loads in the 12 gauge.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Great feedback. Looks like I need a(nother) trip to the gun store!

I think i'll go with the o/u since that's what she's pined for the most. However, I'd like to get her out with a good semi. Another woman she went shooting with had an auto and it jammed a lot - but that could certainly be due to poor mx or a crap gun. I have wanted a semi auto myself...

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Great feedback. Looks like I need a(nother) trip to the gun store!

I think i'll go with the o/u since that's what she's pined for the most. However, I'd like to get her out with a good semi. Another woman she went shooting with had an auto and it jammed a lot - but that could certainly be due to poor mx or a crap gun. I have wanted a semi auto myself...

Benelli semi-autos are something to behold. I have been wanting one for quite some time myself.

BlkPny

pilot
+1 on the Benelli auto. If, however, you want to truly be the big dog we all know you are, fall off your wallet and buy an old Belgian Browning O/U. It will cost you a bunch, but it will climb in value every year. Plus, when you walk onto the skeet range, you'll look like you belong there.

Remember, you've got to spend it like you've got it.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Depends on the price range you're looking at. For a solid over-under, check out a Browning Citori or Beretta 686. They're a little pricy, but they'll hold up nicely after a high round count. There's also the Browning BT-99 if you want a single-shot...that is a fine trap gun, but not very versatile. I got a lightly used one at a gun show and it's been a nice performer.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Gun-nut denizens of Airwarriors, I am in need of some shotgun help.

My wife has started getting into trap/skeet....trap/skeet.

Got any advice?

Can't give you good advice here without some clarification. Trap and skeet are completely different games, and the shotguns used for them are substantially different as well. Usually when people say they are "getting into trap and skeet" they mean they are "starting to shoot some clays informally at the gun club" which is actually neither of those games.

So...which is it?