• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Shore Tour Opportunities

PilotSteve

Hello All,

Looking for some information regarding possible billets for a shore tour and peoples experience. I'm currently a P8 pilot and may not be looking to stay on the 'golden path'. I was wondering if there are jobs in the navy other than VP IP/ VT IP that would add to the resume for opportunities outside the military eventually? My wife is originally from Hawaii and am wondering how to get a shore tour out there? Thanks for the information.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello All,

Looking for some information regarding possible billets for a shore tour and peoples experience. I'm currently a P8 pilot and may not be looking to stay on the 'golden path'. I was wondering if there are jobs in the navy other than VP IP/ VT IP that would add to the resume for opportunities outside the military eventually? My wife is originally from Hawaii and am wondering how to get a shore tour out there? Thanks for the information.
PMRF on Kauai operates several RC-26 aircraft. I know that a couple of the assigned pilots have VP backgrounds.

PilotSteve

Thanks! Do you all know of any non-flying billets out in Hawaii and/or non-flying jobs that look good outside the military? Trying to weigh options but set myself up for success if I choose to not make flying a lifetime career.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
No one cares what job you had - do what you think will be fun/interesting.
This; especially if it's non-flying.

If you're aiming for a non-flying post-Navy job, the best thing you can do during your shore tour is educate yo-self. I have a JO going through UVA's Darden MBA program, and I've seen few get real technical MSes.

I think you need to pick a passion or industry, then the shore tour would be more about location and time to prep yourself for the next career.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hello All,

If all you care about is setting yourself up for civilian life, then go somewhere where is easy to get a masters and/or professional certifications in the field you want to work in (PMP, Scrum Master, etc.). For this reason, it would likely be worth to do a tour at the air wing, NAVAIR, or some warfare center where there are FREE programs to get these certifications and you can network with the civilians. A tour as an ROTC instructor would also help because you can get your MS or MA and get experience as college faculty.

If you want to keep flying and have fun, then one of the best kept secrets is either as an air ops planner at the fleet hq or on the Admiral's personal aircraft detail. I'm not sure who runs those dets but I know they have C-26s in Naples for 6th Fleet and NAVEUR/NAVAF use and that each Force HQ has a plane. I'm not sure what PAC Fleet, Fleet Forces, 4th Fleet, 7th Fleet, or 5th Fleet have.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If education is your thing then aim for an ROTC tour. While I am not sure about contemporary rules, in my time military provided education added time to your service. As an ROTC instructor you are considered faculty and most states will let you get a master’s or more tuition free.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello All,

Outside perspective here. What exactly are you looking at doing outside of the military?