• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ship types

ASR

If I were an Ensign with career aspirations I'd go DDGs out of Yoko. SWOs belong on ship and ships belong at sea. And 7th fleet ships are at sea a lot giving a nugget ENS far more training opportunities than their stateside peers.
That's exactly what I did. Fresh out of the Institute, got my dream assignment on my very first tour (DDG out of Yoko) , now 10 years in about to report to my 4th ship and it's still the worst tour I've had. Not because of any inherent failings in Yokosuka-based DDGs, mind you, (well, actually, 7th Fleet liberty restrictions were part of it) but because the command climate on that particular ship at that particular time just sucked, the Surface Navy was going through one of its "training? we don't need no stinking training!" stints, and I was hoping to do a middle east deployment, but it turned out by the time I got there they weren't sending any FDNF Japan ships to 5th fleet: they just stayed Westpac my entire tour. I don't know if that's still true.

I don't say all this to dissuade anyone from going to Japan, but only to highlight that there are no golden ticket guaranteed rockets to superSWOdom. Whether you get a DDG out of Rota or an LSD out of Little Creek, it comes down to you and how you handle the challenges you're presented with in the end.

That's not too much of a problem for me I've gotten used to ducking a lot HA! Another couple of questions related to SWO life:
1.What is the typical daily schedule like for a JO on each type of ship? Do you stand a watch everyday and are in an office setting for most of the day?
2.Does a JO on an AMPHIB go through different quals and tests than a JO on a DDG would? Obviously they're two different types of ships but in order to get the SWO pin do you need the same quals?

My top 2 ship preferences are either a DDG or AMPHIB for now.
1) You can expect to stand watch every day underway, sometimes twice a day. In port, it will be once every few days. All depending on how many people your ship has to man the watches it's required to man.

2) It's the same pin with the same quals required. Basic Damage Control, 3M Divo, Division Officer Afloat, OOD Inport, Small Boat Officer, SWO Engineering, CIC Watch Officer, ATTWO, and OOD Underway. That's straight from the instruction. What will be different is the emphasis placed in certain areas of those quals. Qualifying CIC Watch Officer on an MCM, for instance, we obviously placed a lot of emphasis on how to conduct mine countermeasures operations. When I qual'd on the DDG, there was a lot of emphasis on AEGIS and surface/air/anti-submarine warfare. I'd say we covered more on the DDG. Conversely, since my particular DDG almost always had a TAO and almost never a CICWO, I saw the division officers on the MCM stand a lot more CIC watch on the MCM than I did on my DDG. I'd say they walked away with a lot more experience on how to run the watch in CIC than I did coming off my DDG. Similarly, you're more likely to focus on landing/launching helos to qualify as OOD on a DDG whereas an amphib will have that and also well deck operations. And of course on an MCM we've never heard of either of those things, but you can expect a lot of attention will be paid to how to handle the ship when deploying/recovering sweep gear.

That said, I don't want to dissuade you from DDG or AMPHIB: those will offer you the most flexibility later on and are platforms that will be around for decades (you could very well spend your entire sea-going career all the way through to command at sea just doing tours on DDG-51 or LPD-17 class vessels if you were so inclined, LCS too). I would just caution you on letting people who have never served on a particular platform convince you that said platform is a bad way to go. There are no bad ways to go as a division officer, so long as you know what you're getting yourself into, it's what you want, and you do well. I'd also suggest that, if a few years from now you should find yourself working with someone who has served on a different platform, you not judge them based on stereotypes.

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Is there any height restrictions on certain surface ships? I'm 6'8 and want to know if my selection of ships will be limited in a few years. I've already found out I am too tall to fly, does my height cause an issue if I want to go SWO as well?

We had a dude who was 6' 11" on our FFG and he fit. You'll bump your head more, and inspecting for high dust will be super easy, and you may have to modify your rack so you fit in it, but you'll be able get your pin and quals just like everybody else. And yes, you'll get the same quals (OOD in port, OOD Underway, ATTWO, CICWO, and others) on a DDG as on an LHD/LHA. I would recommend against an LHD/LHA though, as you're more likely to get lost in the sea of JOs trying to get their quals.

azguy

None
That's exactly what I did. Fresh out of the Institute, got my dream assignment on my very first tour (DDG out of Yoko) , now 10 years in about to report to my 4th ship and it's still the worst tour I've had. Not because of any inherent failings in Yokosuka-based DDGs, mind you, (well, actually, 7th Fleet liberty restrictions were part of it) but because the command climate on that particular ship at that particular time just sucked, the Surface Navy was going through one of its "training? we don't need no stinking training!" stints, and I was hoping to do a middle east deployment, but it turned out by the time I got there they weren't sending any FDNF Japan ships to 5th fleet: they just stayed Westpac my entire tour. I don't know if that's still true.

For what it's worth, I hope you're not knocking a whole fleet concentration area because your first ship had a poor command climate. The surface navy has come lightyears in the training world since you were a Divo, as I'm sure you are aware, now as a sitting DH. Still a long way to go to get where we should be, but between new/improved training pipelines (BDOC, ADOC, WTI, beefed up Nav COI) and steps to improve ATG's and CSCS' capacity to support the ships, I think and hope we're on an upswing.

Regarding deployment, I would posit that there are both awesome and super boring missions being performed by deployed ships in CENTCOM and PACOM. CENTCOM doesn't equal an awesome deployment by any means; and there are ship's doing pretty cool stuff in WESTPAC.

I don't say all this to dissuade anyone from going to Japan, but only to highlight that there are no golden ticket guaranteed rockets to superSWOdom. Whether you get a DDG out of Rota or an LSD out of Little Creek, it comes down to you and how you handle the challenges you're presented with in the end.

+1

TimLee

So essentially, what's the difference between the amphibious ships (classes) and are all available to Ensigns?

N4Life

So essentially, what's the difference between the amphibious ships (classes) and are all available to Ensigns?

All are available for first tours, although for a first tour there is no essential difference. All are Marine transport just big decks are a little bigger and have aviation detted on board (LPD/LSDs may have a squadron assigned but not normally), a few more departments, and more people on board. Overall picture that's about it. If you are considering for a first tour, picking amphib is as detailed as you need. Your first tour is focused on earning your pin, and learning how to be a leader from your chief.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
... and learning how to be a leader from your chief.
Assuming the Chief is a good leader.

There is way too much "The Chief, the Chief, the Chief...' bantered about.

True, most Chiefs earned their promotion/status by there are more than a few that made it not from being a good leader, but being a good kiss ass/doing shitty collateral duties. And many who made it righteously lose their righteousness after a few years, especially if they don't pick up Senior Chief or Master Chief.

Many times I had POs that were better leaders than the Chief. I also had fellow JOs and DHs that were better leaders from than the Chief.

The Chief is a great asset. Definitely learn from him but don't ever believe that "the Chief is always right" or that the Chief knows better. Observe everyone and learn from everyone. Use your Chief but also use what you have observed and your own judgment.

The quickest way to get into trouble is to ignore Chiefs.

The other quickest way to get into trouble is to believe Chiefs.

You've got to figure out the balance.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Assuming the Chief is a good leader. There is way too much "The Chief, the Chief, the Chief...' bantered about...

Hear, hear. I've had amazing chiefs and I've had worthless chiefs and everything in between. We make some very good career NCOs in the Navy, in general, and as a new ensign you're probably not going to see a difference right away between the good bad and ugly. All you can do is listen, learn, and apply some common sense until you know enough to apply your judgment.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Dammit, HAL, you've succinctly summed my thoughts exactly. I thought I was the only who felt this way. I've known far too many Chiefs who made Chief and then spent all their time in the Goat Locker drinking coffee; but the good Chiefs are worth their weight in gold.

exNavyOffRec

but being a good kiss ass/doing shitty collateral duties. And many who made it righteously lose their righteousness after a few years, especially if they don't pick up Senior Chief or Master Chief.

I worked with several of those, and they drove me up the wall, they basically walked over their people to get where they are.

I didn't know many of the CPO's that made it the right way who changed after failing to pick up 8 or 9, they just kept doing what they were doing in hopes to make it next time, now the ones that walked all over people would get pissed, generally because how they got to where they are was exposed.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I didn't know many of the CPO's that made it the right way who changed after failing to pick up 8 or 9, they just kept doing what they were doing in hopes to make it next time, now the ones that walked all over people would get pissed, generally because how they got to where they are was exposed.

Or they start dropping Warrant packages left and right. Then they end up in the Wardroom as crusty Warrants who are still good dudes and dudettes.

exNavyOffRec

Or they start dropping Warrant packages left and right. Then they end up in the Wardroom as crusty Warrants who are still good dudes and dudettes.

Oddly enough I know several CPO's that were up for SCPO many times (one was like 10 or 11 times), then they get picked for warrant first shot, they were all great guys and it showed how the nuclear pipeline was broken, they basically didn't make SCPO because they hadn't done an instructor tour, they had been repair and at sea all their career.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Oddly enough I know several CPO's that were up for SCPO many times (one was like 10 or 11 times), then they get picked for warrant first shot, they were all great guys and it showed how the nuclear pipeline was broken, they basically didn't make SCPO because they hadn't done an instructor tour, they had been repair and at sea all their career.

Stuff like that has always boggled my mind, but I guess that's just how the game is played sometimes.

abctotheabc

Anyone on this forum been on DDGs lately? The last response was 2015 so was wondering if there's any new info regarding ships and whatnot. I'm trying to absorb and read as much as I can about the different options I'll have to select from.

SharkBait

Anyone on this forum been on DDGs lately? The last response was 2015 so was wondering if there's any new info regarding ships and whatnot. I'm trying to absorb and read as much as I can about the different options I'll have to select from.
Just got off a 7th fleet DDG 2 weeks ago, ask away or message me