• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ship Photo of the Day

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If I wasn’t on a trip right now I’d post my mid air plan meeting amateur artist’s rendering of the gator photo op from Ssang Yong 2012.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well I’m bored so I found it. Behold the mighty Essex photo op from 2012.

View attachment 24746
Bonus for @Pags, a typical gator air planning board.
View attachment 24748
Seems like accurate art. Somewhere I have similar air plan doodles; my favorite was of an AH-1 as a raft kicker. The skid kids didn't think it was as funny as I did.

If I was a better artist I couldve done a whole series on "mini and the air ops officer explain to the MEU why they can't spot seven helos at once. Again."

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
View attachment 24560
Dunno if this has been posted but it’s pretty badass to see the six shells in mid flight. Missouri if I recall correctly.

What might be even more impressive is the anti-aircraft capability of all US battleships, in particular the fast battleships of the North Carolina, South Dakota and Iowa classes. While these 10 ships had the second heaviest broadside (behind the Yamato class), no ships had a comparable anti-aircraft capability. The US battleships had roughly a 50% greater per minute anti-aircraft capability compared to the Yamatos, and nearly triple that of Germany's Bismarck class. Factor in the best fire direction system (Mark 37) and the fact only the US and Brits had proximity fused shells, the US ships had a tremendous advantage in anti-aircraft firepower.

For Pags, Nittany, Jim, Griz and others who really enjoy the history of old ships, www.navygeneralboard.com has some interesting historical articles on old ships. They were the ones who just recently did the anti-aircraft calculations.

Couple of photos of the Missouri's dual 5"/38's, quad 40mm Bofors and single 20mm Oerkilons.

A MK 12 quadruple mount of Bofors guns fires from USS Hornet

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Well I’m bored so I found it. Behold the mighty Essex photo op from 2012.
I guess I never did any good cruise art/doodles. Now I'm kicking myself for passing up so much opportunity.

In high school I drew some pretty decent caricatures of a few of my teachers (stuff like one in a superman suit, another one wearing leather helmet and googles while riding in a paper airplane...). I should have mixed that ability with some of the ridiculousness that happens on deployment... sorta the difference between using your superpowers for good or for evil/with great nerd power comes great nerd irresponsibility.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That they likely caused with half baked "good" ideas.
Why would we bother? We already quit or got laid off once. Nah, we're just trying to control the shenanigans in both directions. If there's a good idea fairy, it's probably an active duty person on someone's staff.

Like showing up to an exercise expecting to be the ESG/TACRON reps, only to find out the Aussies undermanned their CAOC, so us and like 3 other dudes get to be the entire NALE. Surprise!

Or when an Aussie O-5 goes VFR direct to CFACC, and claims TACC just told them they're unable to control aircraft in the AOA. Uhh, no, that's not at all what they said, because doing that is literally their job, so let's have me and my CO spend inordinate amounts of effort quashing that rumor for a day and a half.

Or when said CO gets invited to go to the CFMCC's CUB 'for SA,' and ends up being line-of-sight tasked by a one-star to run down some random project that is due in like 48 hours and has absolutely nothing to do with our (minimally manned 24/7) watchstation.

Or when TACC rogers up and says they can control airspace that they can not yet see on radar or have radio comms with until they get closer. Uhh, hold up, why don't you guys track on PIM for a half-day and get back to us?

Or when we're expected to coordinate with a ship that has a broken chat channel, refuses to set up TBMCS on board, and gives us one unclass POTS line that rings in the freaking LFOC.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Why would we bother? We already quit or got laid off once. Nah, we're just trying to control the shenanigans in both directions. If there's a good idea fairy, it's probably an active duty person on someone's staff.

Like showing up to an exercise expecting to be the ESG/TACRON reps, only to find out the Aussies undermanned their CAOC, so us and like 3 other dudes get to be the entire NALE. Surprise!

Or when an Aussie O-5 goes VFR direct to CFACC, and claims TACC just told them they're unable to control aircraft in the AOA. Uhh, no, that's not at all what they said, because doing that is literally their job, so let's have me and my CO spend inordinate amounts of effort quashing that rumor for a day and a half.

Or when said CO gets invited to go to the CFMCC's CUB 'for SA,' and ends up being line-of-sight tasked by a one-star to run down some random project that is due in like 48 hours and has absolutely nothing to do with our (minimally manned 24/7) watchstation.

Or when TACC rogers up and says they can control airspace that they can not yet see on radar or have radio comms with until they get closer. Uhh, hold up, why don't you guys track on PIM for a half-day and get back to us?

Or when we're expected to coordinate with a ship that has a broken chat channel, refuses to set up TBMCS on board, and gives us one unclass POTS line that rings in the freaking LFOC.
Your reserve job sucks

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Just how did we win WWII?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
USS Herschel "Woody" Williams, ESB-4 Recently commissioned from USNS to USS: named after the last surviving Marine Corps Medal of Honor winner from Iwo Jima. After watching him speak (at about the 56 minute mark), I hope I am in that good of shape at 76, never mind 96.

Hershel Woodrow "Woody" Williams, born 2 October 1923, is a retired United States Marine who received the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Battle of Iwo Jima during World War II. He is also the last surviving recipient of the Medal of Honor from that battle.
Citation For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as demolition sergeant serving with the 21st Marines, 3d Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 23 February 1945. Quick to volunteer his services when our tanks were maneuvering vainly to open a lane for the infantry through the network of reinforced concrete pillboxes, buried mines, and black volcanic sands, Cpl. Williams daringly went forward alone to attempt the reduction of devastating machine gun fire from the unyielding positions. Covered only by 4 riflemen, he fought desperately for 4 hours under terrific enemy small-arms fire and repeatedly returned to his own lines to prepare demolition charges and obtain serviced flamethrowers, struggling back, frequently to the rear of hostile emplacements, to wipe out 1 position after another. On 1 occasion, he daringly mounted a pillbox to insert the nozzle of his flamethrower through the air vent, killing the occupants and silencing the gun; on another he grimly charged enemy riflemen who attempted to stop him with bayonets and destroyed them with a burst of flame from his weapon. His unyielding determination and extraordinary heroism in the face of ruthless enemy resistance were directly instrumental in neutralizing one of the most fanatically defended Japanese strong points encountered by his regiment and aided vitally in enabling his company to reach its objective. Cpl. Williams' aggressive fighting spirit and valiant devotion to duty throughout this fiercely contested action sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.