• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sequestration and Summer Training

family1

I'm hearing conflicting reports. Have the sequestration cuts had an impact on summer training for Mids?

Renegade One

None
MIDN are still conducting summer training.
Glad to hear that. I would consider summer training as the USNA/NROTC version of the "tactical hard deck". Eliminating it would cost you more in terms of training than you would ever save in terms of dollars.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There's a row of blue and white T-6's on the T-line at Oceana right now. I'm guessing they aren't here for SNFO training purposes.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Although there would be nothing wrong with that…maybe a little bit of both?

Usually they have a dedicated group of aircraft/IPs that they can afford to lose (Sometimes reservist if they're behind in production) that they send on det for a month or so. Usually its T-34s since you can hotseat mids in and out of the thing a bunch of times on one bag of gas. Thats not really an option anymore as VT-28 picks up the slack for 27 during its transition and IPs from both squadrons go through the IUT. Whiting is having a ton of production issues and most likely won't make mission this FY. Sherman may have excess capacity, or at least not be as far behind so they can bite the bullet and send people to a sweet gig.

djj34

pilot
Straight from NASC CO this morning, "We're sending something like all but 6 of VT-10's T-6s up to Virginia Beach to give rides to mids on summer programs." I can't remember exactly what brought it up, but it sounds like a good time for all involved.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
No, it is not. However, during the briefs I asked each of them if they wanted the "full ride" or something a bit more subdued. Both enthusatically answered "the full ride".

The guy who ralphed was smiling the entire time :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, it is not. However, during the briefs I asked each of them if they wanted the "full ride" or something a bit more subdued. Both enthusatically answered "the full ride".

When I would do CORTRAMID, I would do the same thing, and then reconfirm when they were strapped in on the way out to working area. I specifically remember one guy that I flew twice (his group got to come back because they had so few Mids that were qual'ed/wanted to go for a ride). Both times he filled at least one bag, and both times, he was smiling when he got out.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
4 of my 5 onwings who've selected jets puked early on... A lot. One puked so hard he broke the lock on this first bag, and there was so much volume, when placed in the second back it's zip lock broke too. My favorite was a Marine jet selectee who puked 3 times on his first flight in the plane, and then puked into a trash can while walking back from the plane to drop off his gear.

Renegade One

None

Ah, yes…I remember that well, although my "Navy Recruiting Orientation Flight" in a T-34B (Spring, 1970) could never be described as anything other than "subdued". I smiled too…after the ralphing inside a stranger's flight suit. It seemed a more gentlemanly alternative to besmirching the rear cockpit. Truth…I actually ralphed inside my own t-shirt and jersey…all the flight suit got was the nectar leakage…none of the chunks. Easy hose-off…I hope!

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
4 of my 5 onwings who've selected jets puked early on... A lot.

One of my buddies puked every single flight in T-34s and about 1/3 of the way through T-44s, he said, "If I puke tomorrow, I'm just gonna take it as a sign that this flying gig isn't for me. I can't live like this anymore!"

He's a test pilot now.