• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS September 2024 AMDO BOARD

Kellaway222

Kellaway222
Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice to build a strong package for the September 2024 AMDO BOARD. I'm an AD2 who has been in for 4 years, I got 4 year shore duty doing I-Level maintenance on F414 engines as my first command (pretty lucky) and I will be exiting the navy in a month. Haven't gotten in trouble, got all of my qualifications and my last three evals have been MP,MP,EP. I'm working towards a Bachelor's in Business Administration Management at Western Governor's University and should be done before May 2024. This degree is an all online degree and there grading scale is Pass or Fail so I can only get a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale (official school description attached) which meets the requirement in the program authorization (107). Soon after completing my Bachelors I can complete my Masters with adding about 12 classes to hopefully help my package. Has anyone applied with this type of degree and will it affect the strength of my package? I understand a good OAR and ASTB scores matter as well but will this degree heavily affect my chances. I'm also currently working with my chain of command to get three LOR's from 05x2 04x1 and an interview appraisal from my MO. Also, would going from active to reserve help with the application process and more likely to be accepted? I was planning on exiting the military completely. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• WGU Grading scale.PNG
    WGU Grading scale.PNG
    77.4 KB · Views: 6

exNavyOffRec

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice to build a strong package for the September 2024 AMDO BOARD. I'm an AD2 who has been in for 4 years, I got 4 year shore duty doing I-Level maintenance on F414 engines as my first command (pretty lucky) and I will be exiting the navy in a month. Haven't gotten in trouble, got all of my qualifications and my last three evals have been MP,MP,EP. I'm working towards a Bachelor's in Business Administration Management at Western Governor's University and should be done before May 2024. This degree is an all online degree and there grading scale is Pass or Fail so I can only get a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale (official school description attached) which meets the requirement in the program authorization (107). Soon after completing my Bachelors I can complete my Masters with adding about 12 classes to hopefully help my package. Has anyone applied with this type of degree and will it affect the strength of my package? I understand a good OAR and ASTB scores matter as well but will this degree heavily affect my chances. I'm also currently working with my chain of command to get three LOR's from 05x2 04x1 and an interview appraisal from my MO. Also, would going from active to reserve help with the application process and more likely to be accepted? I was planning on exiting the military completely. Any advice would be appreciated.
I dealt with applicants that had a P/F grading and from a recruiting standpoint it was a PITA, we had to get a letter from the registrar explaining everything all for them to say the equivalent final GPA was 3.0 which honestly doesn't stand out on an APSR.

As long as you get above the minimum OAR that is really all that matters so you don't need a waiver, otherwise it is all about the GPA, degree, and with AMDO the certifications since you have been AD.

You should look at some of the other AMDO threads at who was selected, in general a common theme is AD, supervisory maintenance experience and a pretty good GPA.

When it comes to LOR's they should ideally be under 6 months old, and generally older than 12 is not really beneficial if it is even accepted.

Have you thought about other designators besides AMDO?

Kellaway222

Kellaway222
Appreciate the feedback,

So make sure to get a good OAR score to make up for the degree. I will have to check out those AMDO threads for more info. But for the LOR's I didn't know that about the time frames so maybe I can just get back with my chain of command down the line for the LOR's and Appraisal. As far as other designators I've looked at SUPPO which fits my degree but personally I would prefer going AMDO cause I enjoy the aviation field.

exNavyOffRec

Appreciate the feedback,

So make sure to get a good OAR score to make up for the degree. I will have to check out those AMDO threads for more info. But for the LOR's I didn't know that about the time frames so maybe I can just get back with my chain of command down the line for the LOR's and Appraisal. As far as other designators I've looked at SUPPO which fits my degree but personally I would prefer going AMDO cause I enjoy the aviation field.
No the OAR really doesn't help at all, it will hurt you if you are below the minimum as then your application will have a waiver attached, other than that if you have a 45 or 55 no one will really notice.

I would always tell me applicants to think about what is more important, being an officer in the USN or doing a specific job in the USN.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello Everyone,

Being that you're a fleet applicant, I strongly suggest you contact your CCC and find an officer mentor or two (ideally an AMDO) to help you out.

AMDO is a fairly competitive programs and quite frankly, it's not really a program in which you want to aim for the mins.