• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sensitivity Training for Marines

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
This about nails it:

“If I could make one change to improve our combat effectiveness in the military – it would be turning all those equal opportunity and sensitivity trainers and counselors into combat rifleman,” said Fox News military analyst Army Lt. Col. Ralph Peters (Ret.). “We need more rifles. We don’t need any more sensitivity.”

Renegade One

None
I think the cutting edge vignette apparently to be used in the training is spot-on: “You’re in the field, you only have this certain amount of space for billeting and you’ve got three women and six guys. How are you going to billet?”

I thought "billeting in the field" was like foxholes and shelter halves and shit...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We'll see just how sensitive they are to 60% of the females in their unit getting pregnant before deployment like the Navy saw when females got introduced to boat life.
60% - is that accurate? Sounds like a lot.

Now that I think about it, what has been a bigger challenge in the military over the past 20 years - integration of women or the lifting of DADT? After you consider that, consider which event produced the most pushback.

Last edited:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
60% - is that accurate? Sounds like a lot.

Now that I think about it, what has been a bigger challenge in the military over the past 20 years - integration of women or the lifting of DADT? After you consider that, consider which event produced the most pushback.

I think that number being passed around was for the first carrier with women assigned to it (JCS).

Theres always fear of change. There's always problems with integration. Neither have been without issue. Integration of women has taken the longest (so far) and isn't without its obstacles (still).

DADT repeal had a vocal pushback (wasn't around for the kickoff of women integration) and mixed results, depending on individual commands. You probably won't have a seamless integration of gays openly serving in the military for another 30 years after a generational changeover has occurred. Hopefully by that time the issues with women integration will be complete by then as well.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's funny that you say that, because since the repeal, I've worked at a major staff, large training command and a fleet squadron. I have yet to see a single issue with gays and lesbians serving openly. It just hasn't come up - ever. Admittedly, I may be insulated to an extent from what is going on at the deckplate level, but it hasn't registered on any of the command climate or DEOMI surveys I've seen. It really has been a non-issue. 30 years for a generational turnover? I think the transition took about 30 seconds in most people's minds.

jmcquate

Contributor
I think that number being passed around was for the first carrier with women assigned to it (JCS).
USS Acadia was the first integrated. Something like 10% of the female crew killed the bunny while deployed during Desert Storm.............must have been quite the party boat. As for the kinder/gentler Corps, meh, just another class in an air conditioned room to try and stay awake in.

On a side note Huggy, out of curiosity, are there any women pilots in the 9th SRW?

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's funny that you say that, because since the repeal, I've worked at a major staff, large training command and a fleet squadron. I have yet to see a single issue with gays and lesbians serving openly. It just hasn't come up - ever. Admittedly, I may be insulated to an extent from what is going on at the deckplate level, but it hasn't registered on any of the command climate or DEOMI surveys I've seen. It really has been a non-issue. 30 years for a generational turnover? I think the transition took about 30 seconds in most people's minds.
The repeal of DADT was a huge "meh" in the Navy. it happened, people came out (most weren't big surprises) and the world went on.

I know a lot of older folks still seem to be upset about women in the service but that seemed to be far less of an issue for my generation and younger. BThe 20yr old ABs I worked with could've cared less about race, religion, sex, etc.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The problem I have with females in the infantry/combat arms is perfectly summed up at the 56 second mark in this video:

Those CRRCs are nearly empty and there are ~13 dudes on each one, barely able to get it off the sand while moving them up to the trash-line. What happens when they have to "trail of tears" the boat 3 or 4 miles and a sizable portion of the unit is significantly shorter/physically weaker than the rest? I get that there are female outliers who aren't shorter/weaker, but by and large the sample size is. So we are pushing a social agenda that now has women potentially being drafted, requires additional logistical considerations, and decreases our combat readiness. What is the upside here? (BTW I'm not being misogynistic, I have no issue with females in most of the MOS's, I just don't agree with the combat arms restrictions being lifted, or the integrated basic training platoons for that matter).

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Pretty sure those are Recon Marines, so any female in the platoon would have already made it through BRC and proven themselves capable of carrying/flipping/lugging that boat around 3 or 4 miles.

But, I do understand your point about females generally being weaker than their male counterparts

Pags

N/A
pilot
The problem I have with females in the infantry/combat arms is perfectly summed up at the 56 second mark in this video:

Those CRRCs are nearly empty and there are ~13 dudes on each one, barely able to get it off the sand while moving them up to the trash-line. What happens when they have to "trail of tears" the boat 3 or 4 miles and a sizable portion of the unit is significantly shorter/physically weaker than the rest? I get that there are female outliers who aren't shorter/weaker, but by and large the sample size is. So we are pushing a social agenda that now has women potentially being drafted, requires additional logistical considerations, and decreases our combat readiness. What is the upside here? (BTW I'm not being misogynistic, I have no issue with females in most of the MOS's, I just don't agree with the combat arms restrictions being lifted, or the integrated basic training platoons for that matter).
Does the boat HAVE to be dragged 3-4mi? Does the insert HAVE to be by CRRC? Maybe we've always done it this way because muscling through it was easier than thinking about it. Could you make a lighter boat?

The Sailors that worked the hardest and hustled the most when I was a Mini were the 4' 11" women. Despite their small size they routinely outperformed the men.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Does the boat HAVE to be dragged 3-4mi? Does the insert HAVE to be by CRRC? Maybe we've always done it this way because muscling through it was easier than thinking about it. Could you make a lighter boat?

The Sailors that worked the hardest and hustled the most when I was a Mini were the 4' 11" women. Despite their small size they routinely outperformed the men.
Well if they can't carry the boat, then the boat won't HAVE to be moved. Problem solved. Expect that reasoning to be applied to pretty much every other situation.

Do they HAVE to do a multi day patrol? Does the pack HAVE to weigh that much?

It's not settling for less, it's thinking about it differently with diversity and synergies and shit.