• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SELRES Helo to VR?

ojt23

I currently a HELO SELRES pilot considering VR SELRES (not FTS)opportunities. The squadron is great, but the long commute is expensive and time consuming. OK, I'd like to build some fixed wing time too. I drill 6-8 days a month and 14-20 days AT/year. More is ok if I need to.

Stats:
04 (late 2005) over 12 years
1400 Total, 100 fixed

Am I wasting my time, or are VRs taking helo guys with no post-winging fixed wing time? VR-59 would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dustydog

pilot
Your best course of action is to contact the squadron directly. Call VR-59 and ask them when their next selection board is being held. Getting on as a SelRes is like rushing a fraternity, you need to show up on a drill weekend and get to know the squadron. If they like you and want you in the squadron, you stand a good shot of getting picked. Being a helo guy is not a show stopper but there might be more qualified guys who they also want. Also, if there are no slots at a particular squadron then you have to wait or pursue a different avenue. Also, you might want to call the local TANG unit. They operate in much the same way and there is probably more opportunity to find a slot due to numbers.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Getting on as a SelRes is like rushing a fraternity, you need to show up on a drill weekend and get to know the squadron.

Bring donuts. Lots of them. The good kind.

I'm not kidding, either - we Reservists, as a rule, are serious about our donuts.... :)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Interesting post, cause even though I just started my HSL sea tour, I'd love to go to VR-59 later in life. It'd be a reason to live back in Fort Worth too. Good luck with your quest.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
That's an interesting site. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the ANG will train you to fly in a new airframe (i.e. AH-64, C-130, F-16?) Just curious.

Circle K

pilot
Scam- go back out to the main page for baseops and look for something called the gold to silver transition. Its a very detailed look into how to join the ANG from AD Navy/Marine Corps. But the short answer is, if you sucessfully rush a unit, they will train you to fly what they fly.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But the short answer is, if you sucessfully rush a unit, they will train you to fly what they fly.

It may be the ANG, but they are still blue suiters. The AF has the money for that sort of thing. Not very common at all in the Navy Reserve.