• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection

bandit1

Quick question...I've heard that since Whiting has been slowing down, the new classes for advanced helos are really backed up. Does anyone know how this is affecting people selecting out of Primary? i.e. Are there still helo slots available for the fiscal year?

Jay

The day there are no more helo slots to select from, is the day the Schwarzenegger Library gets dedicated. Movie? Anyone?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Not that I have any broad, in depth knowledge here but...A guy in my squadron was selecting earlier in the week. 52 NSS, and had wanted helos all the way. Talked to everyone in the squadron about it. His list was 1) Helos 2) P-3 3) J1/J2

He selected Jets...

I'm not saying that there is a jet draft on or anything or that there are no helo slots left but....man...thats odd.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Part of that is the people with the 'non-jet' NSS can't be sent (usually) anywhere but p3 and helos.

Recently there has been a backup of helos so the tendency was to not send people there if they could elsewhere.

As far as that guy not being sent to his 2nd choice of P-3s go, they might be in a similar situation. So if you had a high NSS and could be sent to jets/e2-c2 thats where some wound up going.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I just got out of the pipeline a couple months ago. The problem that the advanced helos is having is that they had 2 mishaps within a couple weeks of each other. The first one rolled a helicopter and killed a student and seriously injured an instructor and another student. Just after that happened, another helo rolled. Luckily everyone was okay, but that put the head sheds on notice. The admirals went down to whiting and stopped all training that involved moving the twist grip. I have two friends that just got started with HT-18. They tell me that there is about a 4 week wait between the time you finish ground school until your first fam flight.
:icon_smil