• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

This is a question for anyone out there either in or out of primary. My buddies are over in VT-6 and in their intro brief, they were told that if they graduated with a 56 NSS or better that they would be garaunteed jets. If thats what they want they'll hold them until a slot opens up. Is this something true through out Primary or is this a squadron specific thing?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That's not always true and it depends on the needs of the service. Squadrons decide nothing, pipelines are decided by CNATRA in Corpus Christi. A high NSS does not always guarantee jets but in todays climate, it probably does. To reinforce the statement "needs of the service," I had 6 Navy students receive their JET wings but because their Detailer needed E-2 pilots, they ordered them to the E-2 RAG. Talk about pissed off people. There was nothing we could do to change or sway BuPers. You'll never know your route until you are considered qualified in your Weapon System. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

quote:...their Detailer needed E-2 pilots, they ordered them to the E-2 RAG...

After two+ years of killing yourself to get to, and through Jet training...ouch!

D

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ouch is a nice way to put it. I'd probably say FUCK ME! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

vt9Jack

On the other side of that coin is that there are now 4-5 guys in VT-7(Advanced Strike) that came to Meridian as E2/C2 guys.

Jeff, all you can do is your best, you're gonna get what you're gonna get. Things like selections have a strange way of working themselves out-just make sure you do your part and work your hardest.

jec

Dave Shutter

quote:...there are now 4-5 guys in VT-7(Advanced Strike) that came to Meridian as E2/C2 guys.

Is that just because of the so-called "desperate jet pilot shortage" or is that more of a common place thing since their advanced is similiar, sort of?

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 07/06/2001 02:01:00

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Are they redesignated as strike aviators or are they in Meridian flying the T-45 E-2/C-2 syllabus? Yes, there is a T-45 E-2/C-2 syllabus. It was created when the T-2's were all grounded. I know because I'm one of the authors. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ASUPilot

Matt,

To the best of your knowledge is there a "shortage" of Strike pilots in the Navy right now? I have some bro's down at NAS CC who are finishing up Primary and their NSS' are 68 & 69 respectively...they are PRAYING to go Jets/Strike.

ASUPilot

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Matt, I didn't realize that. I guess Admiral Boyington is scrambling to fill slots. This is typical of the training command. 10 years ago, when the drawdown began, CNATRA released to many SNA's and 6 months later went crazy trying fill slots.
Once again, like I've said before, don't worry about selection. Do your best, have fun and study hard. When the time comes and you don't get what you want, at least you can say you gave it your best shot. Not everyone can fly jets. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ASUPilot

Frumby,

I agree with your post, however, that's any easy thing to say (about flying jets) when you fly one yourself...we should all be so lucky!

ASUPilot

vt9Jack

I believe this was posted earlier, but perhaps its a good time to post it again?

"....all you can do is your best, you're gonna get what you're gonna get. Things like selections have a strange way of working themselves out-just make sure you do your part and work your hardest."

jec

Jeff

I'm down in Corpus in VT-28 now and I have been keeping an eye on the selection sheets and they seem to coincide with what the Navy has established as ideal standards. Approx. 30% Jets, 20% Props, and 50% Helos. I have seen selections for a few months and I have not seen them differ greatly from that standard. We were given a breif that it is policy that if you get an NSS of 56 or better then you will be held for a jet slot if thats what you want and it is not available at that time. However, I have yet to see or here from someone who received greater than a 50 NSS lately and not go to the jet pipeline if they wanted. It seems to be more frequent that they don't have enough guys with the grades to fill the slots they need for jets. There are just so many people getting really good grades and selecting Props. They recently held a breif to try to encourage people to select jets. Because they don't have enough guys who want them when they get through primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.