• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selected, Commissioned, and.... wait.

Radeon3030

DCO SELECT
Question about the Navy Reserve DCO onboarding process for those who've BTDT:

The backstory: I was selected (woohoo!!) for 1815 in the Jan 2019 board. Took the oath right at the start of FY20, back in October. There was a paperwork mixup (mismatched dates) when all the docs got submitted to Millington, so they kicked it back. We corrected the date errors and resubmitted. They accepted them this time, and recruiter got them back in late January 2020. He submitted to the local NOSC last week of January. And that's where I'm at right now.

Does anyone know how long it "typically" takes to get gained by the NOSC? It's NOSC Baltimore, in case that matters. I'm in DEERS, I can call the automated phone system and it lets me in when I enter my info. I've called the NOSC a couple times, but all they can tell me is "they'll contact me once I'm gained". Going on 6 weeks now waiting to get gained. I stopped at the local CAC office, as the internet told me once in Deers, you can go get a CAC. The CAC office said I'm in the system, but I'm not flagged as "CAC eligible" yet.

As non prior service I don't have any frame of reference for this stuff, so not sure if I should be making calls to bug people to move things along, or if I just need to shut up and keep waiting. It's been over a year now since I got selected, so I'm just eager to get going, feels like an eternity of waiting!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Does anyone know how long it "typically" takes to get gained by the NOSC?
I've seen this before a couple times. Unfortunately, I'm not super in the know, but it takes as long as it takes. What you can do is call up to Millington and ensure that there are no errors with your entry in the various Navy systems that tell each other you "exist". Definitely work with NOSC leadership to ensure that the Manpower Dept is doing all they can/should be doing to get you sorted.

AMGunner

I stopped at the local CAC office, as the internet told me once in Deers, you can go get a CAC. The CAC office said I'm in the system, but I'm not flagged as "CAC eligible" yet.

If you are in DEERS you can get an IRR ID and use MWR/Commissary/NEX etc and start shopping for uniforms.

When I came in, it took a while to gain me as well. I also may have called manpower/respay at the NOSC and told them I was about to loose health insurance and if I can get gained I can get TRICARE...I was gained that week.

snake020

Contributor
Have you identified what unit you'll be assigned (IAP) to? If so, engage with unit leadership and ask them for help. Keep the pressure on; it's not uncommon for NOSCs to fall asleep in their support.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Have you identified what unit you'll be assigned (IAP) to? If so, engage with unit leadership and ask them for help. Keep the pressure on; it's not uncommon for NOSCs to fall asleep in their support.

Snake beat me to the punch here. Over my time in recruiting, I’ve seen unit leadership take more responsibility over the on boarding than the NOSC and of course recruiter. Each NOSC is different and the process can take weeks or months.

Get your unit leadership involved. At the same time, you can engage with NOSC leadership/admin to see where you’re at in the process.

snake020

Contributor
Real talk - what useful function do NOSCs serve again?

NOSC Fort Dix had an effective staff when they were my NRA, but I think that was reflective of the relatively low count population of Reservists they supported in comparison to larger NOSCs. The two I've been associated with on the west coast so far have been pretty terrible. I get you may have manning issues, but there's no excuse to ignore and give no status on emails to your group distro about why your department hasn't approved my DTS voucher submitted six weeks ago.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Real talk - what useful function do NOSCs serve again?
ADCON... Many are woefully equipped. Mine has 400+ Reservists and a staff of less than a dozen. The NOSC does not even have an IT on staff so some other poor schmuck is left trying to handle all the IT related stuff.

What's worse, they have no money to bring on any Reservists to help out.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...there's no excuse to ignore and give no status on emails to your group distro about why your department hasn't approved my DTS voucher submitted six weeks ago.
You are doing it wrong.

I give them one or two emails over the course of a week (if it's not pressing) then I escalate to the NOSC XO with a Cc to the NOSC SEL. Things tend to get done when I do this.

snake020

Contributor
You are doing it wrong.

I give them one or two emails over the course of a week (if it's not pressing) then I escalate to the NOSC XO with a Cc to the NOSC SEL. Things tend to get done when I do this.

It doesn't help when the NOSC XO is vacant and I have more senior leadership in my unit who have experienced the same issue and have already CC'd the NOSC CO.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
It doesn't help when the NOSC XO is vacant and I have more senior leadership in my unit who have experienced the same issue and have already CC'd the NOSC CO.
If going to the NOSC CO does not work, you go to his boss, the RCC Regional Commander for your region. They would be more than happy to help especially for b.s. crap like this that they like to ding people on (vouchers, etc.).

Yes, I've done it, and no, I was not "fired." Your unit leadership should have already contacted RCC.

This is another one of those "everyone wants to be a gangster until it's time to do gangster work."

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Not to make this a measuring contest, but 400? NOSC Washington has like 2,000 SELRES. Talk about a joke. As a JO the only thing I could do to get anything done was if I had one of my CPOs or my unit XO with me.

mander for your region. They would be more than happy to help especially for b.s. crap like this that they like to ding people on (vouchers, etc.).

Yes, I've done it, and no, I was not "fired." Your unit leadership should have already contacted RCC.

This is another one of those "everyone wants to be a gangster until it's time to do gangster work."