• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Birdbrain

pilot
Don't overlook a good revolver. You might be pleasantly surprised. A .38/.357 gives you lots of options.
R/
Good point. I carry a S&W 442 actually. It's a handy little pistol, surprisingly easy shooting too. I'll see about renting a .357 while I'm at it.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
If you like the 442 you'll love a full size. The extra weight really soaks up the perceived recoil to the point where a standard velocity .38 spl isn't much different than a 22 LR. I'm told .38 spl is a great round to start reloading, if you're so inclined.
R/

Birdbrain

pilot
If you like the 442 you'll love a full size. The extra weight really soaks up the perceived recoil to the point where a standard velocity .38 spl isn't much different than a 22 LR. I'm told .38 spl is a great round to start reloading, if you're so inclined.
R/
I hadn't considered a full size .38, but now you're making me reconsider. I'll keep an eye out during my range session(s).

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I have a S&W .357 with the 4” barrel. It’s the K frame from 1974, your basic issue service revolver (I think Customs guys carried them for a while) that is easy to use, easy to clean, packs a punch, and is pretty much retard proof.

My wife actually enjoys shooting it more than anything else we own. You can run .38 SP through it to save money at the range, and I run .357 hollow points with polymer tips in 125 grain from Hornady when I carry or when it’s loaded at home for defense. It’ll get the job done...
(Note: picture is from interwebz, not my actual revolver, I still can’t carry on base...)
8B8707FB-4698-4F85-8AD2-839F69060B00.jpeg

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I use Critical Defense in my Glock 43 which is what I carry.. I use +P+ in my Glock 17 for the house.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
What’s a good bolt action .22lr rifle for a young kid to learn to shoot on? I learned on one (hand fed, no magazine) and it helped instill some good safety practices.

GroundPounder

Does it come in pink? I've been looking for a 22 for my daughter just like this but she looooooooooooves pink and unicorns.

Not sure if you are serious, but if so, this might be for her.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

View attachment 34074
Not sure if you are serious, but if so, this might be for her.
I was very serious. Thank you.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Toying with the idea of another long gun. Looking at Daniel Defense but open to suggestions. Use would be recreational target shooting, possibly hunting.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Toying with the idea of another long gun. Looking at Daniel Defense but open to suggestions. Use would be recreational target shooting, possibly hunting.
The options right now are infinite. Really comes down to "what's cool for you". M400 Tread by Sig and Saint by SA are examples of high quality complete modern rifles that can be found at discount from volume sellers. Or roll your own - acquire a lower receiver locally and build the gun that suits you and have everything you need shipped to your house via UPS. In 2021 buying a complete upper is the way to go married to a home built lower. Technique only. YMMV.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Or if you are looking for a bolt gun, find a decent Rem 700 used (pawn shop queens) and marry it to a Magpul Hunter stock. With matched with an affordable fixed power glass, you have a great gun for hunting, prs, or plinking. Go for .308....