• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance - Residence vs Address, want to do this right

budy363

Long story short, I have always held the same address, 64 Smith St (fake). That's the address on my birth certificate and any and all records. When I was around 7 or so, my parents bought the house next door, 66 Smith St. We basically connected the properties, the driveway was connected and there is no obvious dividing line between the properties. I always, and still do, consider them to be the same 'home', just two houses on the same plot of land. Throughout my lifetime I have occasionally switched bedrooms, living in one house for some time and then swapping over to the other and vice versa. For the past 6 years or so though, I have not switched and my primary bedroom has been in 66 Smith St. I never bothered to switch my permanent address. Also due to the fact that growing up, my dad set up basically slightly more favorable tax filings to have me be under the 64 address and my siblings be under the 66. Whenever anyone asks me where I live, I immediately and instinctually say 64 Smith. The idea to say 66 never even crosses my mind. To me, my home is 64 Smith and I just live on the second house on it. I receive and pick up all my mail from 64 Smith and usually park my car in that driveway.

My problem is two fold. For reference, I am 22. When I was 19, I was put through another SF-86 for clearance for an internship. On that form, I listed 64 Smith. I asked my uncle (who works for defense contractors and has held high clearances for 50+ yrs) what I should put. He knows the situation and said to just put 64 Smith, which I did. Fast-forward to now, as I am seeking a commission to the Navy, I want to represent the honor that the military stands for. I want to make sure to put the accurate and correct information that the form is asking for. I am also now additionally worried that if I am put under a polygraph in the future and asked if I LIVED at 64 Smith, I would have to say no and then a whole can of possible misunderstandings would open up.

My main question: When the form asks for residence, I am assuming that means where your 'bedroom' physically was. Would I be wrong to list 64 Smith as that is what I consider my actual and permanent address, which all official records recognize? Merriam-webster defines residence as "the act or fact of dwelling in a place for some time", which most definately describes 66 Smith. But it defines address as "a place where a person or organization may be communicated with", which definately describes 64 Smith.

Thank you for your help.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Long story short, I have always held the same address, 64 Smith St (fake). That's the address on my birth certificate and any and all records. When I was around 7 or so, my parents bought the house next door, 66 Smith St. We basically connected the properties, the driveway was connected and there is no obvious dividing line between the properties. I always, and still do, consider them to be the same 'home', just two houses on the same plot of land. Throughout my lifetime I have occasionally switched bedrooms, living in one house for some time and then swapping over to the other and vice versa. For the past 6 years or so though, I have not switched and my primary bedroom has been in 66 Smith St. I never bothered to switch my permanent address. Also due to the fact that growing up, my dad set up basically slightly more favorable tax filings to have me be under the 64 address and my siblings be under the 66. Whenever anyone asks me where I live, I immediately and instinctually say 64 Smith. The idea to say 66 never even crosses my mind. To me, my home is 64 Smith and I just live on the second house on it. I receive and pick up all my mail from 64 Smith and usually park my car in that driveway.

My problem is two fold. For reference, I am 22. When I was 19, I was put through another SF-86 for clearance for an internship. On that form, I listed 64 Smith. I asked my uncle (who works for defense contractors and has held high clearances for 50+ yrs) what I should put. He knows the situation and said to just put 64 Smith, which I did. Fast-forward to now, as I am seeking a commission to the Navy, I want to represent the honor that the military stands for. I want to make sure to put the accurate and correct information that the form is asking for. I am also now additionally worried that if I am put under a polygraph in the future and asked if I LIVED at 64 Smith, I would have to say no and then a whole can of possible misunderstandings would open up.

My main question: When the form asks for residence, I am assuming that means where your 'bedroom' physically was. Would I be wrong to list 64 Smith as that is what I consider my actual and permanent address, which all official records recognize? Merriam-webster defines residence as "the act or fact of dwelling in a place for some time", which most definately describes 66 Smith. But it defines address as "a place where a person or organization may be communicated with", which definately describes 64 Smith.

Thank you for your help.
Real estate issues really aren’t a big deal in the process. Street addresses change all the time which is why lot numbers are used by cities and counties.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Don't overthink this and just use the address you have.

If you have specific NASIS/SF-86 questions, your recruiter is a good point of contact.

villo0692

There’s always typically an “additional comments” section on almost every page of this form, where you can explain any details that might come up. Honestly if that’s your biggest concern I’d say your pretty well set ?