• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sea Tour ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
OK, this question is for anyone with prior experience in this area. What are the 6 month work up like? How often are you away during the work ups? Now cruise info on a carrier: I have been informed that there are sat phones on the carriers now at a cost of $20 for 20 min. True? How often does a carrier pull into port? Are UNITAS's as good as people say? Any info would be great.

Dave

gunnerdd972

Dave,
I can only respond to your questions about carrier life. I was stationed onboard the USS Kitty Hawk. Yes the sat phones are 1$ a min, but they are not always working, keep in mind that the CO has the power to have them turned off for security reasons. There is also e-mail on board ships as well. On a typical 6 month deployment (I am speaking from a Westpac deployment, or ships from the west cost.) Any ship will make around 2 or three port stops before it makes it to the Persian Gulf. It takes around one to one and half months to get there. Then the ship will spend any where from 3 to 4 months in the gulf. Keep in mind that any time a ship enters the gulf your pay is tax free for that entire month, (also you get hazard pay as well). Say that you get to the Gulf on Oct 31, the whole month of Oct is tax free. Speaking from the enlisting side if you get a reinlisting bonus in the gulf that whole bonus is tax free, PAY DAY. I had friends get 20,000 tax free, half up front and the other half in payments. I don't know how officer bouns work, but I think you can work it out the same way. Well after the ship leaves the gulf it takes around another one to one and half months to get back home. Along the way you stop at at least 3 ports. Oh, I almost forgot, while in the gulf the ship will most of the time pull into port aleast twice. Keep in mind that any of the information can change, in regards to ports of call. A ship may not see port for a long time. My last ship I was on (USS Oldendorf) we where out to sea for 74 days with out hitting land. After 45 days out everyone gets two beers. We also had a beard growing contest, and many steel beach cookouts. So you can find things to do while you are out at sea for a long time. I hope this helps.

GM2(SW) Hosehead

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Appreciate the info. When did you go to GM school? I went to GM school in 88 then onto dive, eod, Marine Mammal Handler and other schools from there. Are you applying for an O slot?

Dave

gunnerdd972

I went to the greenhouse in the summer of 96. I am finishing my college at Kansas State University. I just signed my contract on the 1st. So after I graduate in May I am of the OCS, then to flight training for pilot. How is your officer process going? If you are getting the run around don't give up!
Best of luck Dave.

GM2(SW) Hosehead

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Hey GM2 did the concrete floors still have 2' of wax on them? No my package has been done for a while. I'm doin the BDCP program and go to OCS on Dec 8th. Only two short months away from a fun filled 13 week vacation in Sunny Pensacola. Oh well hope to see you around. Go Gators!

Dave

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey GM2, we still need good guys on the cruiser. If you ever want to come work for me, just say the word.

--LTJG Wilkins (location undisclosed)

Status
Not open for further replies.