• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sea Time?

Vheissu171

I am meeting with the Navy tomorrow about the possibility of being a officer in the Navy. I am looking at being a SWO, but I have a couple of questions. About how long will I be out to sea in an average year? Also, what are the primary duties that I would be responsible for?

CAMike

None
Contributor
Use the "Search" function. Lot's of other threads here about this. Get used to the Navy reality "your mileage will vary". It's accurate.

BullGator

I am meeting with the Navy tomorrow about the possibility of being a officer in the Navy. I am looking at being a SWO, but I have a couple of questions. About how long will I be out to sea in an average year? Also, what are the primary duties that I would be responsible for?
2nd the search. Thought I'd make it a little easier on you for the moment and add a link to a post I put up on the top of a "SWO vs NFO" thread, page 2, post #22:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144153&page=2&highlight=vs+nfo

Beyond this one thread that came to mind, you have to search it up. Pretty easy.

robav8r

None
Contributor

I'm not sure I have ever had an "average year" in the Navy. I think you will find (and hear) that it depends on the type of ship, where they are in the IDRC (Inter-deployment readiness cycle), etc. You could be gone from six to nine months in a given year, or as little as two to three. Way too many variables to accurately consider on this board.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
How about just thinking that you'll be underway/at sea for 11 months out of the year. That way when it less than that, you'll think you are getting a good deal.

Sailors belong on ships and ships belong at sea. - Ancient Naval Wisdom

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
How about just thinking that you'll be underway/at sea for 11 months out of the year. That way when it less than that, you'll think you are getting a good deal.

They need to give a similar brief in primary: "The only thing you can currently select are helos, P-3s, and UAVs".

navy09

None
Go to Sailorbob.com. It's a site like this one, but for SWOs. Before you post in there, do a lot of searches. There's a ton of archives full of information.

Recommended search terms:

Division Officer (or DIVO) responsibilities
1st (first) tour
deployment schedule
inport duty

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
It really is a 'milage vary'. I joined the Navy to see the world and all I have seen is the dry dock...

SWCS242

SWO in-training

Whoa what's this about being at sea? If I'm going SWO I will actually have to be at sea? No one told me this when I signed up for BDCP a year ago. :D

Jovie

Hello guys. I've been looking around on this site and it has alot of great info. I just have couple of questions and feel free to provide me a constructive criticism or an advice. Well, I just want to know how competitive the SWO applicants compare to other designators. I was looking at the requirements and I notice that ASTB is 35+, EDUCATION:C+ or better in Calc & Physics. Is this required? Do you pick a specific SWO DESIGNATOR when you apply? or is there a general number and when you finish OCS you get a new designator?

my background currently ENLISTED(E6/OS1 SW/AW/MTS/ATS), 13 yrs in, 4 COMMANDS, 31 yrs old, ASTB 37 (retaking it). EDU: BS in Workforce Education and Development, Southern Illinois University (College Algebra is my highest math). 3.5 GPA.

I want to submit my package as soon as possible, but would I be competive since my ASTB is low and I did not take CAL/PHYSICS in college? What should I do? plz advice. Thanks.

navy09

None
Hello guys. I've been looking around on this site and it has alot of great info. I just have couple of questions and feel free to provide me a constructive criticism or an advice. Well, I just want to know how competitive the SWO applicants compare to other designators. I was looking at the requirements and I notice that ASTB is 35+, EDUCATION:C+ or better in Calc & Physics. Is this required? Do you pick a specific SWO DESIGNATOR when you apply? or is there a general number and when you finish OCS you get a new designator?

my background currently ENLISTED(E6/OS1 SW/AW/MTS/ATS), 13 yrs in, 4 COMMANDS, 31 yrs old, ASTB 37 (retaking it). EDU: BS in Workforce Education and Development, Southern Illinois University (College Algebra is my highest math). 3.5 GPA.

I want to submit my package as soon as possible, but would I be competive since my ASTB is low and I did not take CAL/PHYSICS in college? What should I do? plz advice. Thanks.

Assuming you're still on active duty, talk to your command ASAP and let your goals be known. I'm far from an expert on all the ways an E-6 can commission (OCS, LDO, etc)- but I'm sure they can probably help you out.

Good luck!

Jovie

Assuming you're still on active duty, talk to your command ASAP and let your goals be known. I'm far from an expert on all the ways an E-6 can commission (OCS, LDO, etc)- but I'm sure they can probably help you out.

Good luck!

Yes, I'm still active. E6 is still eligible to apply for OCS. I also did apply for LDO last year and did not get selected, however will try next year. Now, I'm going to the OCS route. I just want to know from current SWO personnel if my stats is good enough to apply for SWO designator. I'm a little too old for the other designators so I'm looking to apply for it. I'm concern if my ASTB score is too low and if It's required to have CAL/PHYSICS class taken before even applying for SWO.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Yes, I'm still active. E6 is still eligible to apply for OCS. I also did apply for LDO last year and did not get selected, however will try next year. Now, I'm going to the OCS route. I just want to know from current SWO personnel if my stats is good enough to apply for SWO designator. I'm a little too old for the other designators so I'm looking to apply for it. I'm concern if my ASTB score is too low and if It's required to have CAL/PHYSICS class taken before even applying for SWO.

You don't actually need Calc/Physics.
I had mid 52 ASTB, 3.6 college GPA, pre-law and history majors. My recruiter told me that a 50 in your ASTB is what you need to be at least competitive.