• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I read somewhere that a privat company in Az has 12 or so A-4's (all flyable) that the military contracts out as aggressors. It was in Approach or one of those magazines.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
I love it when I park a T-45 at a civilian airport and people who don’t know any better come up and say "Wow, I didn’t know the Navy was still flying the T-4". I took a T-45 to an air show and of the hundreds of people that came up to look at the Jet, half of them thought it was a T-4 and the other half had no idea what it was.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
I think it was VC-8 not VRC-30....I was in VRC-30 and all we flew were C-2A(R)'s and C-12's (at one time we had T-39's)....out of San Diego.

I flew in a TA-4 at VT-7 in Meridian in the fall of 1997. So, it had to be after '98.
ea6bflyr

Oh ya...oops
VRCs dont even fly jets.... what the hell was I thinkin
I even have that issue of Naval Aviation News around here too.

early morning brain fart

ps- i think it was the SNA VT's that retired the scooter in 94. Not sure but 94 seems to stick out for some reason.

/lost all credibility in this post :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to this article, the last TA-4's were retired by Tracom in 1999.

http://www.tailhook.org/Brffa99.htm

A-4's, mainly from the Israeli Air Force, are being used by private contractors to provide aggressor training for the military (they are often painted in IAF colors, which is a brown/green/tan camouflage). They have mainly been used to simulate attacking aircraft on Carrier Battle groups during excercises but there is talk to use them as aggressors in ACM (a mistake I think). Two Navy squadrons served the agressor function for enemy strike forces (not fighters) for the Navy until their retirement in the 90's, VAQ-33 and VAQ-34. These companies also use Saab Drakens, Israeli Kfirs, F-4's, T-33's and Lear Jets.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
That's it. Very interesting article talking about how the A-4 can hold its own or in most cases whoop an opposing jet when it comes to dogfighting, hence the reason it's used as an agressor.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A-4, such a nimble little bast@rd. I'd love to fly one someday. I'd also love to fly its complete opposite, the F-4.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to brag...(patting myself on the back)...but I have time in both the A-4 AND the F-4. Both awsome jets. What a kick in the pants!
/bragging
ea6bflyr

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
Not to brag...(patting myself on the back)...but I have time in both the A-4 AND the F-4. Both awsome jets. What a kick in the pants!
/bragging
ea6bflyr

I envy you.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
There's a company in the Seattle area that has several A-4s that you can buy time in. They'll take you up and do dogfighting stuff...but it's not cheap.

E5B said:
I read somewhere that a privat company in Az has 12 or so A-4's (all flyable) that the military contracts out as aggressors. It was in Approach or one of those magazines.

That explains why about 30 of those suckers are sitting right outside the FBO at AVQ (my home airport). Pretty cool. I like that airport. Some dude always cruises around in a microjet out there, too. It's awesome, it's about the size of a sidecar on motorcycle except it's jet-powered. There's quite a few war birds out there as well, the Red Barons spent last winter there, and there's an aerobatic box just to the sw of the field, so quite a few people have Extras and whatnot at AVQ. Unfortunately, that's also where that Osprey went down a few years ago.

Grant

Every now and then there are a few A-4 variants for sale on www.aircraft.com . Also theres always a few F-86's, F-100's, F-5/T-38's, etc. A bunch of foreign aircraft too.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jolly Roger said:
What was the most unconventional shoot down of a MiG over North Vietnam by Navy aircraft?

well, a Skyraider shot down a MIG-17, and a Skyhawk shot one down with a rocket.... so I suppose it's up to your idea of 'unconventional'