• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Satpak77's PRK experience

satpak77

hey guys

Lots of great posts here, thoughtb I wouls share my own experience. I had my surgery on Tuesday April 3. today is Friday April 6. Dallas,TX area.

My surgery is/was wavefront custom PRK

Please see nuggets thread for the info on the laser, what happens when you lay down, etc etc. carbon copy with me. My dr used the Allegretto laser, which is reportedly the top machine as of present date.

Pre surgery, i put myself on a regimen of 1000mg vitamin-c every day, beginning 30 days from surgery. This was due to various articles indicating that vitamin c is shown to reduce the cases of corneal hazing. The dr on requested to begin that regimen one week out, but i figured it was just liked eating extra oranges and thus no harm no foul, so i started at 30 days.

After surgery until today, i am extremely (as in i almost cry) light sensitive and am wearing the darkest sunglasses the local Bass Pro Shops would sell. I was also issued a pair of basically sunglass version of swimming goggles to sleep in. I have no "pain" per se, just irritation and extremely red eyes since surgery. If a starnger saw me with no sunglasses they would probably think i was a serial killer or mad man, the way my eyes look. But no pain

Today is the first day i cam type on the ipad, and also see the contact list in my cell phone, albeit with difficulty. i do have alot of "ghosting" or whatever it is called, from illuminated objects such as a street light or big signs at night, i will see a image of the object but in the background. Kind of hard to explain but the dr said it was normal.

FYI that my vision was 20/100, the day after surgery it was 20/30, and this was only a day after my corneas got blasted with a laser. So i and the dr, are happy

Complaints/problems? I hate the contacts and being "laid up" basically all day since surgery blows. I downloaded some audiobooks onto my ipad but the first few days could not even tolerate the screen brightness for more than 3 seconds so i skipped the books. My entertainment was listening to the TV set.

I will post again in a few days. thanks guys

satpak77

April 12 Update

On April 9 (six days after surgery, counting date of surgery April 3), in the morning, the clinic removed the contacts and it felt great. I should state that at no time, none, did I feel any "pain" (pain as in the feeling when you slam a hammer on your finger, or step on a nail while barefoot, just to clarify "pain") in my eyes during the contact lens period. I did have some "I have an obvious object on my eyeball" but nothing more than that. I have read stories on the internet of "pain" and "Day 3 is unbearable" blah blah but none, zero, of that happened with me.

My vision is 20/30 right now, however during the day one eye is better than the other, then a few hours later the other eye becomes the better one and the second eye is weaker. At night, I have an extremely hard time reading the little greeen street signs in the local neighborhoods. I was driving with a GPS, it said "Turn left on Maple Street" and I probably said ten different curse words because I couldn't read the signs at night.

Again, it is ???? nine days after surgery so maybe I should be a little more patient. I am age 40, not 22, 25 like the young bucks on this forum.

I am taking PreForte 4X a day, one drop (altho it takes about 4 to get one drop in the eye), and lubricating drops every 30 mins per the Dr. Most sites say every hour, so maybe the doctor is building in the human factor and if I miss the half hour, I will hit the hour at least.

Thats all for now.

satpak77

May 13 Update

It is now almost 6 weeks since my surgery. Some updates:

Night vision/street sign problems discussed above are gone. Minimal abnormalities with night vision. High-beams kill me tho.

Steroid drops now at 3 a day
Use the preservative-free drops hourly to every two hours
Still taking 1000 MG Vitamin-C plus the Walmart generic "Eye Health" formula vitamin or whatever they call it

Problems:

Left eye is worse than it was last month. Big time worse. If I check how it is performing immediately after eye drops, it is pretty good, but goes downhill from there. Right eye is awesome in all aspects. Doctor's staff (other opthamologists) said just be patient it "is still early" and the eyes are still healing.

No other issues.