• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SAT Score: 1920, good enough?

BadSailor

Ok, so I took the SATs on May 21st trying to put in a package for FY11, but unfortunately I just received my scores so I have to go for a package next year. I was wondering if my scores would be competetive for the pilot application or if I should try again. 600 on reading, 630 on math, 690 writing. Any advice?

BadSailor

SAT score good enough?

I took my SATs on May 21st hoping to put in a package this year, but my score just came in so I have to shoot for next year. On the upside this gives me pleanty of time to put together a stellar package, but I'm wondering about my scores. I got a 600 in reading, a 630 in math, and 690 in writing. Are these scores competetive or should I try again?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
STA-21 SAT scores seemed to be more like a pass/fail type thing. As long as you meet the minimums they don't really impact the overall package. There are much larger things in the package that will affect it. The big ticket items are your evals, boards, and command endorsement. There's a ppt on here somewhere that has lessons learned from previous boards, I would try to find that and gleam what you can from it. Also, college credits seem to help out significantly in being accepted.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
What fc2spyguy said. Keep in mind the board that reviews the STA packages have thousands to go through in a short period of time. In that lessons learned spyguy mentioned, the CO's recommendation is listed as the most important factor. My academic background was extremely lackluster (as in I left college on academic suspension) but my evals and command endorsement helped me get the slot.

Since you have the time to do so, some volunteer work and college/distance learning will help your recommendation. Good luck!

slug

1920 SAT score, damn I only got 1390.

Just FYI: the amount of times the word "package" was used in this thread makes me uncomfortable.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I took my SATs on May 21st hoping to put in a package this year, but my score just came in so I have to shoot for next year. On the upside this gives me pleanty of time to put together a stellar package, but I'm wondering about my scores. I got a 600 in reading, a 630 in math, and 690 in writing. Are these scores competetive or should I try again?

For STA-21 the only part of the SAT they care about is the Reading/Math... The board Hot washes say that the average score they accept people with is 1200 combined. Your Math/Reading comes out at 1230. Your SAT scores are only one part of the deal. If the rest of your package doesn't show any major character flaws, those scores won't knock you out of the running.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
1920 SAT score, damn I only got 1390.

Just FYI: the amount of times the word "package" was used in this thread makes me uncomfortable.

Some of us are plenty secure in our manhood to use the word package as many times as necessary.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... Any advice?
Ok.

I think those SAT scores will get you under the wire and into consideration. Folklore has it that 600 is minimum on either to be seriously considered. The Navy is much more interested in your performance while in the Navy. If you did well in A school, receive great evals, and kick that upcoming C school out of the park it will do so much more for you package than wasting time on a retake of the SAT. A stellar CO recommendation will also help you. Work on your performance and supporting paperwork.

As someone herein alluded to, take guff from neither your DIVO nor Chief. Correct their mistakes when you see them, let them know the hot shot that you are. This will ensure you get a lot of needed special attention and consideration. :):):)

And carry on with the use of "package" as "manhood" does not apply to you.

Best of luck.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
take guff from neither your DIVO nor Chief. Correct their mistakes when you see them, let them know the hot shot that you are. This will ensure you get a lot of needed special attention and consideration. :):):)
Yes, this is excellent advice. I always liked the Johnny-on-the-spot who was there to correct my every little misdeed.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or Jenny on the spot.. :):):)
I don't submit to that pc bullshit...and now that I'm not in the Navy anymore, I don't have to pretend that I agree with it. I'm all for women in the Navy, but they're still Johnny and Seaman Timmy to me. :icon_boun

WeatherGoddess

I would think since you are well above the min required of 500 you shouldn't really worry about it. The SAT scores are a really small part of the package it looks like. As long as you got strong reccomendations from your CO and your interview appraisals, that will hold more weight than your SAT scores. At least IMO but I could be wrong.... I mean the minimum is a minimum for a reason right? and the min is 500

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This is not specific to STA-21, but I got a 1050 on the SAT and I fly jets. It's probably the most meaningless test I have ever taken (though I think it probably did reflect how seriously I took high school :) )