• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC v. Academy ANSWER

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnata001

I was a previous USNA wannabe..i am currently a 3/C ROTC Mid. in my 3rd semester. For an english class, I wrote an essay comparing Military Academies in the U.S. to prison's. I did this just to get a view of the other side and have fun w/my assignment. If anybody is interested in viewing this short, fun essay, hit me up on AIM (Nkeswsh) or IM me and tell me how to post the attachment up on this board and I would be happy to do so.

*Also, if anybody has Academy/ROTC questions, feel free to fire away. I have gone through the USNA admissions process 2 times and am a scholarship mid. so I am aware of the whole ROTC deal (requirements, stipends, everything). Take advantage of me, i like to talk a/b this stuff

-Craig

airpirate25

Grape Ape...Grape Ape
Well, I went to the "Boat School" and after ten years experience feel confident that there is no significant advantage or disadvantage to being Acadmey, ROTC or OCS. My civilian career has been if anything ADVERSLY affected by being a "Middie", and most of my buddies in the Fleet were ROTC. STill, the Acadmey was definitely NOT a prison. I've never had as much fun, rewarding experience and unrealisticly special treatment :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Please don't admit in public that you're on a NROTC scholarship and got rejected twice from the academy. It makes ROTC look kind of shabby. It also looks like sour grapes to trash the academy after getting rejected there.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crowbar said:
I swear to God, if this thread turns into an Academy vs NROTC slugfest I'm locking it.

save yourself the trouble and do it now.... there's really nowhere else for it to go

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Well, I'd better get in a reply before it gets locked!

I wouldn't call the Academy a prison. If I had tried to jump over the wall in prison, I would have been shot! At the Academy, the Marines might try to shoot you, but they know any college-aged kid jumping over the wall is just drunk and too lazy to go all the way around to the gate. My proof is that I'm still alive. :icon_tong

ROTC was my second option, but a very very close one. I have to say part of my reason was that I wanted to save my parents some money in the long run, but I'm glad I went to Canoe U for many other reasons. I'm sure I would have had a great time at GA Tech, but my future would have turned out completely different. For one thing, I'd probably be in Iraq leading an infantry platoon right now (it was a Marine option scholarship).

I think either way is great, and I have plenty of ROTC friends (and lots of Marine friends too).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The further you get from A-pool and API, the less the rift between ROTC and Academy is. There was a definite barrier in my API class. Now? Who the hell cares.

xof

Are we comparing the experience itself or the post-commisioning experience? The academy was, in some ways, like a prison in that it created an artificial discipline, especially as a freshman. Now, maybe 'white-collar, resort-prison' would be more accurate... nobody got shived, but the absence of many liberties was keenly felt. At the end of the day, all I can say conclusively about different commisioning sources is that they are different. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.