• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roommate on ship ??

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It varies... on this past cruise we had a 6 man stateroom. There was an intel bubba that shared a 2-man with absolutely no one. O-3 and below can expect to share a room with 3-5 other guys whereas I'm pretty sure O-4s have 2-mans. Others please chime in...

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
8, 6, 4, 2, 1 (for O5's and above). Depends.

I can only speak for carriers but generally, a squadron is assigned to a block of rooms. Most are two-mans with a couple of four mans and maybe a 6 or 8 man bunkroom. (Plus the CO and XO staterooms). Room selection is usually done by seniority with people deciding who they want to live with. I have known senior guys to stay in "bad" rooms because of roomamate issues. My last cruise, the S-3 Department heads (O-4's) had a four man bunkroom. Little more room and they were all good friends. Our senior JO's decided to stay in a 6 man room for the same reason.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lived under cat 1 in a two man, 2nd deck in a 4 man, 02 level in a 2 man, 3rd deck in a two man, some more I've forgotten...It all varies depending on what the CVN assigns to the CVW.
Every squadron I've been in has chosen staterooms, ready room chairs and PR gear loft pegs straight off a lineal number sheet on the ready room wall.
r/
G

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I stayed in a two-man as an O-3 and kept it the whole cruise, every cruise. What Steve & Schnugg said is the general rule. I just "improved" on the rule a little bit. I went down to the ship early (always) for workups as the squadron and later an AirWing LSO to wave carquals. Checking out all the assigned squadron staterooms and reporting condition and quality of same was considered one of my "collateral duties". I always chose a room for myself down in "Sleepy Hollow" --- directly opposite Air Ops --- quiet, clean, nearly "private" head the other side of the bulkhead, and the air conditioning always worked. You could hardly hear the "Cats" when they fired.

Rooms are picked by seniority. I was obviously not "senior" enough to get the plum rooms, so I would always report my desired stateroom as "substandard", or "noisy" or "it blows" (we said "blows" instead of "sucks" in those days ... :) ) .... it worked every time --- the O-4's never did catch on. The C.O. got it as I roomed opposite him once --- but I guess he figured if the O-4's were that stupid then they deserved the hot, noisy, greasy staterooms they got and he never "corrected" the seniority imbalance .... worked for 2 1/2 cruises and 2 1/2 C.O.'s .

Ain't life grand, sometimes ???
happyhappysmall3fl.gif

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since this is posted under the Supply Officer portion of the website, I can only assume you are either a Supply Officer or a prospective one. On the carrier, Supply Department runs the operation for officers' staterooms. What this means is that if you are going to be a supply offier and are heading to a carrier, you will most likely already have an "in" into the system. Not always, but there is a good chance. There is also that possibility that it could be you who is responsible for the staterooms (there's more to that division than just that though). So in theory, you could be assigning your own stateroom to yourself. In any case, the goal is always to keep all the aviation bubbas up near flight deck since they're the ones making all the rackett and ship's company (even if they are aviators) as low in the ship as possible (if that's what they want of course). My recommendation to you is to find a room on the second deck (people are ALWAYS checking in/out on a carrier so a room is bound to open up quickly if not readily available), as close to centerline as possible, in the aft part of the ship (cause that's where the main wardroom is).

On a small boy, you're gonna be the fng and will most likely wind up in 6 man at best, and overflow berthing down below at worst....at least until you have some time onboard. The quality of stateroom you get on a small boy will be very much a function of how long you've been onboard, senority, and respect from the other JO's. If you let the other JO's walk all over you because you're a supply type, they'll eat you alive and you'll be in 6-man for your entirety. Don't put up with it. As the Suppo on a small boy (we're talking DH billet now), life is good. Depending on the type of ship (Frigate, DDG, CG) you may even have your own stateroom....typically that is on a CG.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
SteveG75 said:
My last cruise, the S-3 Department heads (O-4's) had a four man bunkroom. Little more room and they were all good friends.

I'm in that S-3 squadron. 3 O-4s took a 4-man, for a little extra room, but beware this "good deal" because the ship knows that bunk is open, and you'll get a ship rider every now and then.

ip568

None
On the other hand...

You can strike for VP and never have to hit the boat, except when you jump all over someone ELSE's at 200K and 200 feet...

P-3_rig.jpg

VP gets these starting in 2012:

mma_boeing_small.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Agree .... P-3's are great. Lots of sandy beach time and no steel beach. Another bennie for P-3's: we used to envy the P-3 drivers while up at the Cubi BOQ pool when they and their very fine P-3 "trophy" wives would start rolling in .... while we sat, watched, moaned, and chewed a hole in a towel.

But then, when the P-3's were running out to Diego Garcia or up to Japan and our ship went to Hong Kong or Singapore for liberty ..... and the P-3 wives started showing up in Hong Kong and Singapore .... :) .... I guess it all averaged out in the end ..... :) .... it always does.