• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Romeos Vs. Sierras

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
As far as TPS goes, I've heard mixed feeling on this. I've heard get it out there now and what you've said. I've heard "hold your cards close" about everything too. I know TPS isn't on "The Path" but it sounds like an interesting path.
This is bad gouge. TPS grads are absolutely on "the Path". In the past 6 years HX-21 test pilots have had 100% O-4 screen rate. 100% Dept Head screen rate. Find me another shore tour with those numbers. I believe if you look at the command board stats, TPS grads have the highest command selection rate. Also I would not recommend holding it close. Let people know you are interested in TPS. Find a mentor O-4/O-5 type early on who is a grad to guide you through the process. I can almost guarantee that there will be at least 2 TPS grads in the front offices on the seawalls in Norfolk/San Diego and probably one in Mayport/Jax. Introduce yourself to them and inform them of your interest when you are at the FRS they may be able to help you along in your progression. One thing I noticed when I was at HX/TPS was that a lot of guys had either a CO or an XO who was a grad. Lastly if you really want to go to TPS select 53s. Small community (12 guys per year group) and they select 1 guy about every year. Honestly the last four 53 guys who picked up TPS picked up because there was a 53 slot and they were the only one who applied (myself included). Lastly, hours do not matter for TPS. I showed up with 880 total hours and wasn't even the lowest of the helo dudes in my class. Quals do matter.

Sonog

pilot
I feel like its rare to hear someone say they wish they were the other community. That makes me think location might be the true decision variable here.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't speak to the helo life in particular, but as far as location: all the guys I've known who did Japan as JOs were fighting like hell to go back. FDNF is definitely the pointy end, they fly a lot, it's a lot of short (1-3 month) cruises as opposed to the 10-month pain trains CONUS guys generally go on, it's good money (COLA, etc), lots of interesting places to go and see and a safe, well-equipped place to live for families.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
When's the last time actual organic CSAR happened?
1991, Scott Speicher, the package was spooled up until the misinformed announcement by the WH that he was dead.

I've known a few squadrons stand Alert since then, but we haven't exactly lost a jet off the CVN over bad guy country very often, I consider that a good thing.

Sailor_Dave_99

This is bad gouge. TPS grads are absolutely on "the Path". In the past 6 years HX-21 test pilots have had 100% O-4 screen rate. 100% Dept Head screen rate. Find me another shore tour with those numbers. I believe if you look at the command board stats, TPS grads have the highest command selection rate. Also I would not recommend holding it close.

This is good to hear. I definately need to get in touch with more TPS guys. I only know of one at Whiting Field...

As for everyone else. It sounds like Location is the business. And Japan keeps on moving up. This has been a lot of help.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
If that was a CSG vice MEU off Lybia, it would've happened in '11.

They had PR qualified 60S guys. The Air Force flew out 60G's (in less than 30 days) to perform the mission if needed (from ships). Which I take as a slap to the face as a 60S guy.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
This is bad gouge. TPS grads are absolutely on "the Path". In the past 6 years HX-21 test pilots have had 100% O-4 screen rate. 100% Dept Head screen rate. .

I looked at last years DH LL and it did not list TPS as a break out. However I still had the 2010 LL and TPS was only 63% for 1 EP and 80% for 2 EP's. Do you have a link to anything more recent?

Attachments

• 2010 ADHSB Lessons Learned brief2.pdf
    208 KB · Views: 8

croakerfish

pilot
This is good to hear. I definately need to get in touch with more TPS guys. I only know of one at Whiting Field...

As for everyone else. It sounds like Location is the business. And Japan keeps on moving up. This has been a lot of help.

Don't write off Guam either. It was my #2 behind Sierras Japan but if I were doing it again it would be #1. This place is awesome if you are the outdoors type.

TopDog

pilot
xmid - your argument is a red herring for a couple reasons

1) You can't do CSAR without a CSAR TF - The MEU doesn't train to CSAR and never trains to it with an H-60 in an RV role in any case. No commander in his right mind would task the expeditionary HSC det to do that mission given the circumstance.

2) Two to make two is not a sufficient force to successfully plan and execute a CSAR (or any tactical mission set for that matter), particularly since one of those assets is required to remain in starboard d. It's not as simple as saying "They train to do it so lets send them"

IKE - Right on, brother. You nailed it. The argument that you shouldn't train to something that you haven't done recently is nonsense. To top it off, the fact is that HS/HSC CVW squadrons have done a lot of those real-world missions, to include PR and SOF. I've personally participated in SOF missions as an HS/HSC CVW guy and know entire squadrons of others that have as well. As an old skipper once told me, though, "everybody spends their time in the CAP." There are boring mission sets for everyone - PG is one of them and I've done my share, but I've also had the opportunity to do some pretty cool shit. Why, you might ask? Because I put in the time to learn and train to them and the squadron's I was in acquitted themselves well enough to be entrusted to conduct them.

Also, I'm pretty sure I know you - were you a QAO for a real asshole MO once upon a time? I think I was the asshole.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
xmid - your argument is a red herring for a couple reasons

1) You can't do CSAR without a CSAR TF - The MEU doesn't train to CSAR and never trains to it with an H-60 in an RV role in any case. No commander in his right mind would task the expeditionary HSC det to do that mission given the circumstance.

2) Two to make two is not a sufficient force to successfully plan and execute a CSAR (or any tactical mission set for that matter), particularly since one of those assets is required to remain in starboard d. It's not as simple as saying "They train to do it so lets send them"

Your gouge is slightly outdated.

busdriver

None
They had PR qualified 60S guys. The Air Force flew out 60G's (in less than 30 days) to perform the mission if needed (from ships). Which I take as a slap to the face as a 60S guy.
Slap in the face or not, how much training experience do you have against a no shit IADS? What about your experienced instructors? Have the experienced dudes in your unit gone against the best western threat operators on the planet and lived?

Your average dude in a 60G squadron probably has about the same level of training as a 60S dude, but the difference is in the high level training. SWTI vs Weapons School is orders of magnitude different. It's a matter of training philosophy; quality vs quantity.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Also, hold your TPS card close; not everyone thinks it's a worthwhile endeavor.
Now that I've thought on it more (while less inebriated), Pags has a point. My personal recommendation is to be open with your sea-daddy DH and front office, but don't go advertising to the detailer or anyone at prospective shore tours.

TPS selection is tight and timing-dependent; you may not make it, even if you're more qualified than someone who got it in the previous round. Announcing your intent to drop a TPS package may jeopardize your chance of getting your preferred shore duty as XO/COs and Millington folks may not want to risk a billet on someone looking to go elsewhere.

TopDog:Yes, I'm that IKE. Thankfully, I dropped my pack before you took over as MO.

TopDog

pilot
Your gouge is slightly outdated.
Okay, I'll bite. Please elaborate on the outdated portion of my post.

If you're talking three plane dets on amphibs then I'm already tracking. You're still two for two on your mission birds - really one for one if you have an alert. That's no-go before you walk in the ready room.

I'm not that old, for Christ's sake. I just finished my DH tour a year ago and have done a lot of flying with the CVW (mostly) and EXP side.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
I looked at last years DH LL and it did not list TPS as a break out. However I still had the 2010 LL and TPS was only 63% for 1 EP and 80% for 2 EP's. Do you have a link to anything more recent?
I am speaking only to HX-21 not to the VX squadrons. The selection rate is lower in the other DT squadrons. But when you look at guys who got an EP out of their sea tour this past board TPS grads had the highest selection rate (over 90%). Bupers sometimes groups OP test in with Developmental test when they put their numbers out.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
So just read the slides you sent. TPS was the highest for slection with only 1 EP (aid had 100% but only one guy so Im throwing that out). Second highest for 2 EPs (1% behind boat). Highest for 3 EPs 100% (ok only 2 guys so we can maybe throw that out). Both 1st tour MP guys selected. And highest for guys who had a first tour EP. How do you read that as anything other than "the Path"?