• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Romeos Vs. Sierras

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was in the FRS in 2012, so yeah.

Yeah, that place was WEIRD then. And in no way humble despite just having put 2 aircraft in the water at the same time. And yet almost everyone seemed miserable.

Funny story...my last time through there was fantastic and 99% of my IP interaction was extremely positive. The other 1% wasn't bad, just JO IPs being JO IPs. One of the IPs that I did a bunch of NATOPS events with told me that the cadre there at that time all went through 2013-14 timeframe and HATED the place. As a result, they actively went out of their way to make it the opposite of the way it was when they were CAT 1s.

I'd say they did a great job.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
HSC’s issues are slowly improving as we move past the influence of people who started out as something besides HSC.

Can you expound on this? I left the fleet in 2016 for a VT IP tour and haven't been back, now firmly in the 121 world. I just see from afar as we decomm Exped squadrons and trim CVN squadrons to make deck space for F-35s and UAVs. Oh and whatever idiocy happened with Firescout.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Can you expound on this? I left the fleet in 2016 for a VT IP tour and haven't been back, now firmly in the 121 world. I just see from afar as we decomm Exped squadrons and trim CVN squadrons to make deck space for F-35s and UAVs. Oh and whatever idiocy happened with Firescout.
From the outside looking in (HS->HSM transition, DH '18-20), it seemed like old HC bubbas did their best to stiff-arm even a modicum of tactics (VERTREP is all you need), and old HS bubbas tried to shove it down their throats beyond reason (wannabe SOAR types). It was quite bipolar.

Having seen some work from Seawolf/NAWDC recently, it feels the community has damped the oscillations and is finding their place in the world.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
From the outside looking in (HS->HSM transition, DH '18-20), it seemed like old HC bubbas did their best to stiff-arm even a modicum of tactics (VERTREP is all you need), and old HS bubbas tried to shove it down their throats beyond reason (wannabe SOAR types). It was quite bipolar.

Having seen some work from Seawolf/NAWDC recently, it feels the community has damped the oscillations and is finding their place in the world.

Agreed. And it seems like WTIs have also accepted that logistics is an important piece - and the "VERTREP ONLY" crowd has accepted "hmmph, logistics may have to be done in a combat environment... we may need to learn to adapt to that." It's been refreshing to see the community moving forward with a much more unified vision.

croakerfish

pilot
In my opinion, a lot of the flailing for tactical missions and so-called “identity crisis” stuff we’ve documented so thoroughly here was driven by senior HS retreads who felt like they were wandering in the desert after losing missions and carrier space to HSM. HC lost the culture war and anything that smacked of Phrog culture was aggressively squashed.
Now that it’s mostly HSC-raised people who are running things, we can actually acknowledge that maybe there is room for improvement in the ways we do our actual jobs like SAR, and tough problems in a Pacific war like logistics are something we can contribute towards solving.

kookylukey

Just so you know @kookylukey I’m kidding…don’t go HM. Just say “no.”
Funny enough, we can't even select 53s anymore as of a month or so ago

Thanks all for the bickering though, definitely helps to read through it all. And good to know that all of the pool talk of "bro Sierras are bad, they're downsizing bro, go Romeos bro" is indeed just dumb pool talk

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Funny enough, we can't even select 53s anymore as of a month or so ago

Thanks all for the bickering though, definitely helps to read through it all. And good to know that all of the pool talk of "bro Sierras are bad, they're downsizing bro, go Romeos bro" is indeed just dumb pool talk
FWIW they did shutter a Sierra squadron that had been built up in the late 2000s to support the LCS SUW mission (HSC-22). Unfortunately two of my on wings got caught in that mess.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
FWIW they did shutter a Sierra squadron that had been built up in the late 2000s to support the LCS SUW mission (HSC-22). Unfortunately two of my on wings got caught in that mess.
While true, some of the other squadrons expanded. Did some people get caught up in bad timing? Yes.