• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Romeo Aircrewman to NFO

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Both platforms are equally adept at attack.

Having done a fly-in attack and a hover attack, they are not even close to being equal.

Nothing is more accurate than a helo with a dipping sonar dropping from a hover.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Actually it's the same mission. Although nothing beats the ball to localize and fix. Both platforms are equally adept at attack.

If it's two 46s going in the water, the one coming from the helo with a TINS active datum is going to be on the money. The P-3 doing 200ish with the "n00b TACCO special" moving weapons fly to points in 2 mile scale? Not so much.

Two equally skilled crews and my money is still on the helo being far more accurate with placement. What the damn thing does once it's in the water is up to our machine overlords. However, we can carry a fuck ton more ordnance than a Romeo, though...so quantity may have a quality all of its own.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, i appreciate how passionate you all are about your specific platform, but enough with the measuring contest. Lets agree that both platforms are able to hunt subs and move on.

Now lets get back on point in order to help this young man understand the finer points of his desired transition. :D

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it's two 46s going in the water, the one coming from the helo with a TINS active datum is going to be on the money. The P-3 doing 200ish with the "n00b TACCO special" moving weapons fly to points in 2 mile scale? Not so much.

Two equally skilled crews and my money is still on the helo being far more accurate with placement. What the damn thing does once it's in the water is up to our machine overlords. However, we can carry a fuck ton more ordnance than a Romeo, though...so quantity may have a quality all of its own.

I'm a TACCO and I agree with this message.

cmwz1510r

pilot
None
Might I add dual Romeo prosecution. Generally off of p-3 brickwork. But another question, do nfo's get a commercial rating after the rag or is it just fam work?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No rating for NFOs. You aren't at the controls. Screw time for all my friends.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Having done a fly-in attack and a hover attack, they are not even close to being equal.

Nothing is more accurate than a helo with a dipping sonar dropping from a hover.

HL - serious question here, how did you compare the two attacks? Rex/Ex torp, live shot, target type, acoustic range tracking & measuring. I'm assuming you have more data than a range reported drop point and assessed target location.

vmijalapeno

Thump Thump Thump Thump...
None
I went through primary aug11-jan12 with multiple prior AC guys (2 swimmers, 1 flight engineer, 1 COD? AC) and I can vouch that they all did a fair bit better than the average stud. I can't however say if this was due to their prior time in the cockpit as AC or if they were just more mature/dedicated on the studying side due to age. Regardless which they were all great guys who succeeded and surpassed expectations and had the respect by both non-prior studs and a fair few IPs. I have a prior swimmer in my RAG class at 106. He's an RP but I'll ask him what he thinks from the TACAIR side.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I've been in both VP & VF. Go Super Hornets or Growlers and be part of the tip of the spear. The real Navy goes to sea. JMHO.

cmwz1510r

pilot
None
I guess it's almost time for the 2 year update. Just put on the Wings of Gold. Heading to 30 soon then VQ1 afterwards. Just wanna say thanks again for the words of encouragement along the way, as well as the treasure trove of knowledge here.