• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I've found that referencing the ball at the 45 is nice, but if you rely on it too much at the field it screws you up at the boat, when there's inevitably a jet parked on the finger, probably with his canopy up until you're at the start. At least during CQ, less so during cyclic in my limited experience. But it tends to hurt my starts at the boat and leave my lower than I'm used to at the field.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
It's coming along...really, this is the only real procedural thing I have going on. The ball flying is a work in progress...have some really solid sessions and some "others". Might be happier if I could just average them out but... Still for my experience (or lack there of) level I'm not too displeased and am hovering just north of a3.0...Just trying to fix this!!

You'll soon get to the point where you're really happy with how you're doing. That's typically when you're getting close to scaring yourself. My last bounce period before the boat was at Whitehouse and I went from a guy who was flying solid SNA passes to a guy who couldn't keep the f'ing thing on the lens. Did fine at the boat and won a bet or two. Don't beat yourself up too badly after a bad period and don't buy your own hype after a good one either.

I've found that referencing the ball at the 45 is nice, but if you rely on it too much at the field it screws you up at the boat, when there's inevitably a jet parked on the finger, probably with his canopy up until you're at the start. At least during CQ, less so during cyclic in my limited experience. But it tends to hurt my starts at the boat and leave my lower than I'm used to at the field.

Valid.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Doesn't apply in the T-45, but when you get to the Hornet/Rhino/Growler you'll be able to reference the glideslope needle on the ICLS as you're coming through the 90. It makes getting to an on and on start easier. And I have trouble seeing those damn cut lights too, even when I know they're coming.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't apply in the T-45, but when you get to the Hornet/Rhino/Growler you'll be able to reference the glideslope needle on the ICLS as you're coming through the 90. It makes getting to an on and on start easier. And I have trouble seeing those damn cut lights too, even when I know they're coming.
Cheater..using bullseye during day VFR. For shame...:D

-ea6bflyr ;)

Renegade One

None
"Cut lights" used to almost equal "EMCON Recovery"...are they routinely used now instead of "Roger Ball" call? Do they mean something else...like "cleared to continue"?

UMichfly

pilot
None
"Cut lights" used to almost equal "EMCON Recovery"...are they routinely used now instead of "Roger Ball" call? Do they mean something else...like "cleared to continue"?

Day Case I recoveries are generally zip lip with cut lights being used as "Roger Ball". It's definitely not an EMCON launch and recovery because the Mini needs to be able to constantly yell at everyone to either climb or not cross the bow...

Renegade One

None
Day Case I recoveries are generally zip lip with cut lights being used as "Roger Ball". It's definitely not an EMCON launch and recovery because the Mini needs to be able to constantly yell at everyone to either climb or not cross the bow...
Got it...thanks. God bless Minis...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I would think you'd have a vested interest in ensuring that the pilot cheats in every way possible.

If my pilot wasn't cheating then the LSO's debrief was mild compared to mine! :D . THE GOAL IS SAFE ON DAS BOAT. STYLE DOES NOT MATTER.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
If my pilot wasn't cheating then the LSO's debrief was mild compared to mine! :D . THE GOAL IS SAFE ON DAS BOAT. STYLE DOES NOT MATTER.

True.

I had a spectacularly bad OPSO (1320) during my first cruise. He didn't like that I brought the family wagon in for a very mild SH one afternoon. Good pattern, good start to in the middle and then I quit at the ramp and pulled out the 1 for a fair (with the gracious upgrade). No power calls, no cut lights - nothing scary, just got low over the steel. He shit all over me in the debrief. I went back into mx control and adjusted my NAVFLIR - specifically removing the "Y" from his landing code column.

A week or so later he came up to me and told me I had screwed up my NAVFLIR.... I informed him that I had, in fact, filled it out correctly. If he didn't like the pass that much, I didn't want him to have to remember it. :cool:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True.

I had a spectacularly bad OPSO (1320) during my first cruise. He didn't like that I brought the family wagon in for a very mild SH one afternoon. Good pattern, good start to in the middle and then I quit at the ramp and pulled out the 1 for a fair (with the gracious upgrade). No power calls, no cut lights - nothing scary, just got low over the steel. He shit all over me in the debrief. I went back into mx control and adjusted my NAVFLIR - specifically removing the "Y" from his landing code column.

A week or so later he came up to me and told me I had screwed up my NAVFLIR.... I informed him that I had, in fact, filled it out correctly. If he didn't like the pass that much, I didn't want him to have to remember it. :cool:
How very typical of you. :D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
True.

Wow. How can you just disregard the valued input of your fellow crewmember? I mean, he's over there making all kinds of admin money, and gets no love? And he doesn't even get the credit for the trap that he spent all that time watching? Man......that's a shame!

Watch out, bro. You might incur the wrath of the flight attendant union.