• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

Pags

N/A
pilot
saw that the other day...seemed pretty far-fetched to me too. only LSOs on a gator are for the harriers. As far as I know, they don't do squat for helos (I've never talked to them). And the LSEs are ship's company so not Marines.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I stopped reading pretty early but all the italicized stuff sounded like total horse shit. That was the point right...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... only LSOs on a gator are for the harriers.....
AND ... in spite of any propaganda to the contrary .... "they" aren't really LSO's .... any one of the Gator LSO/E's who say otherwise is .... well, let's just say "exaggerating".

I can call myself a 747 .... doesn't make me one, however. :)

phrogpilot73

only LSOs on a gator are for the harriers. As far as I know, they don't do squat for helos (I've never talked to them). And the LSEs are ship's company so not Marines.
You are correct. LSO's are in the tower only during the Harrier recoveries, not the helo recoveries. LSE's are ship's company - and I never pay attention to them, unless they're waving me off...

AND ... in spite of any propaganda to the contrary .... "they" aren't really LSO's .... any one of the Gator LSO/E's who say otherwise is .... well, let's just say "exaggerating".
Or, they're properly referring to their additional MOS:

MOS 7589, V/STOL Landing Signal Officer*

a. Summary. V/STOL landing signal officers control launch and recovery of fixed wing V/STOL aircraft aboard carriers, amphibious platforms, and field carrier landing practice (FCLP). This MOS is to be assigned only as a skill designator MOS to qualified pilots who have been designated as squadron V/STOL LSOs (day/night) as described in the V/STOL LSO NATOPS.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Or, they're properly referring to their additional MOS: MOS 7589, V/STOL Landing Signal Officer* ....
Well, I'll be damned ... you're right. They ARE LSO's!! What's that V/STOL thingy?? ..... V/STOL ..... hmmmmmmmm ..... V/STOL ..... V/STOL.

V/STOL --- is that a brand of Vodka???

Nope. Don't know. I never got that V/STOL qual, I guess.

Just C-1, C-2, E-2, S-2,T-2, TA-4, F-8, RF-8, F-4, A-3, A-4, RA-5, A-6, EA-6, A-7, ... mebbe another one or two -- can't remember. That's what you had to qual on to be an AirWing/CAG LSO (LSO= a.k.a. Little Shitty Officer, a.k.a. near-sighted, pathological lying bastard, etc., etc.).:)

But I never got one of them-there V/STOL things ... guess I really WASN'T an LSO !! :D

Another bubble burst!! Another old-man hallucination realized !!! :eek:

MasterBates

A4s, there is also a Helo LSO qual for RAST equipped small boys.

You need Trophy Wife to go to the Pharmacy and refill your Geritol?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....You need Trophy Wife to go to the Pharmacy and refill your Geritol?

Geritol??? Trophy to pharmacy?? I can't remember .... :)

But seriously ... while there WAS an LSO NATOPS, I don't believe it addressed LSE's (everyone else) in the ol' days ... I'm not positive. I COULD get my old LSO NATOPS out of the parachute bag where it has probably decomposed over the past 35-40 years ..... I know the parachute bag has ..... but then there's that V/STOL thingy .... ;):D

Pags

N/A
pilot
You are correct. LSO's are in the tower only during the Harrier recoveries, not the helo recoveries. LSE's are ship's company - and I never pay attention to them, unless they're waving me off...

I've only got a few days on the gator (and none with harriers around) and didn't want to be caught telling tales out of school. Most of my experience with gators has been bringing em stuff from the beach.

And as far as yellowshirts go...waveoff and hold are the only mando calls :)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It looks like they pulled the link off Kos. It's obviously made up crap.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry .... that would be like providing you with a link to Leon Trotsky's blog.

Well, keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer.......

Interesting to get into the mind of a nut sometimes, just for kicks......;)

And yes, Kos is a nut......

blur

A-pool
EXTREMELY important...LSO's are special!!

Well, now that I got you in the thread...:D

Anyone know where I can find the audio to the opening sequence of that movie with initials TG, came out mid 80's, naval aviation related...probably the best opening scene in any movie, ever. I own the soundtrack, but it doesn't have the audio I'm talking about. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

As the title implies, this is life and death folks. :icon_tong

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Well, now that I got you in the thread...:D

Anyone know where I can find the audio to the opening sequence of that movie with initials TG, came out mid 80's, naval aviation related...probably the best opening scene in any movie, ever. I own the soundtrack, but it doesn't have the audio I'm talking about. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

As the title implies, this is life and death folks. :icon_tong

Incoooomiiiiiiiing!