• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rewarding or Mundane

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-40CC

TRASH HAULER FOR LIFE!
I am currently working on an OCS app to cross into the "O" side of the house. I would really like to be a pilot since I have spent the last 8 yrs as an aircrewman, but I think that my age may hold me back even with a waiver request. My other choice I was leaning toward was AMDO community, since I have a lot of MX experience---will the job be rewarding or just a real drag?

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
In Jax you have wealth of senior AMDO's to chat with. The XO of FRC SE, the Production Officer of FRC SE, and the NAS Jax AIMD Officer. I suggest you make an appointment to see one or all of them and ask if they think their 20+ years of service has been "rewarding or just a real drag." I think I already know the answer.

C-40CC

TRASH HAULER FOR LIFE!
Thank you for the info, I will have request an appointment with one or all if possible, I work at HGR 1000 anyway so I may have passed the AIMD officer in the passageway and not even known it.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Hello....you don't mention how old you are...but I have about the same amount of time in the Navy as you do and am about 3 months into Primary in Corpus. I was comissioned at 27.5 so it can be done. Don't let age alone discourage you.

C-40CC

TRASH HAULER FOR LIFE!
Thanks for the encouraging word, I am not discouraged yet. But at 31 I think my window is just about closed. I love the aviation side of the Navy and I want to be an officer as well. I am just looking at another career field possibility.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Don't forget NFO. You might have an easier time getting an age waiver for NFO than NA.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I suggest you make an appointment to see one or all of them and ask if they think their 20+ years of service has been "rewarding or just a real drag." I think I already know the answer.

Obviously if they've done 20+ years, you're going to get a biased answer.

I'm not here to bash the AMDO community, but personally, I didn't enjoy it. A main factor in this was that I was straight out of college, non-prior enlisted. Most AMDOs are prior maintainers, and it's the logical step to go from maintainer to maintenance manager. It should be noted, that the AMDO career is geared toward AIMD, as there aren't any O-4 billets in a squadron.

Put my vote down in the Mundane category. :p

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Obviously if they've done 20+ years, you're going to get a biased answer.

I'm not here to bash the AMDO community, but personally, I didn't enjoy it. A main factor in this was that I was straight out of college, non-prior enlisted. Most AMDOs are prior maintainers, and it's the logical step to go from maintainer to maintenance manager. It should be noted, that the AMDO career is geared toward AIMD, as there aren't any O-4 billets in a squadron.

Put my vote down in the Mundane category. :p

Well--just for sake of discussion and to correct an error or two...

A) Some naval aviators have their private ticket prior to joining and others have never flown. I've seen little difference after a few years in the fleet between the two populations.
B) While the AMDO CDR command equivalent is associated with doing the AIMD job there are over 50 LCDR jobs in squadrons

When you pick a navy career field you've gotta jump in the deep end of the pool to see if you really like it. Taking at face value what you said was the "main factor" in your lack of enjoyment, I'm trying to figure out how the prior experiences of others impacts your personal success and satisfaction. Otherwise, your "most AMDO's are prior enlisted" sounds a little like a cop out.

BTW, the two current AMDO flags were not prior enlisted.

PM me if you'd like to vent some more.

C-40CC

TRASH HAULER FOR LIFE!
"Thisguy" seems to have not had such a good time as an AMDO although, he or she made some valid points I'll assume that they either got out or changed career fields. However, "2sr2worry" made valid points as well, and it seems that he or she has had a worthwhile career in the AMDO field. I'll certainly continue probing and like I said previously, I will definitely get in touch with some AMDOs and personally get their take on this specific career path. Thank you both for your inputs.

AE2 (AW/NAC)
C-40A Crew Chief

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Thisguy" seems to have not had such a good time as an AMDO although, he or she made some valid points I'll assume that they either got out or changed career fields. However, "2sr2worry" made valid points as well, and it seems that he or she has had a worthwhile career in the AMDO field. I'll certainly continue probing and like I said previously, I will definitely get in touch with some AMDOs and personally get their take on this specific career path. Thank you both for your inputs.

AE2 (AW/NAC)
C-40A Crew Chief

You can waiver up to 48 months for age waivers for prior service, although since I presume you're in VR-58, that may be different for reserves. Best talk to your CCC about that. WRT AMDO, if you've got lots of Maint. experience, then you ought to pretty much know what AMDOs do. Why not just talk with your MMCO or AMO for the run down on exactly what they're all about?

Brett

C-40CC

TRASH HAULER FOR LIFE!
You presumed correctly. I am an FTS or TAR and the requirements are the same as if I were a Reg Nav. I did go to the LT and got his point of view, I am just trying to get a better feel for his career field because there is only one AMDO in the command but 2 dozen or so Pilots.

Wannab_a1525

I am currently working on an OCS app to cross into the "O" side of the house. I would really like to be a pilot since I have spent the last 8 yrs as an aircrewman, but I think that my age may hold me back even with a waiver request. My other choice I was leaning toward was AMDO community, since I have a lot of MX experience---will the job be rewarding or just a real drag?

In Jax, there's a lot of AMDO's. I know the AIMD OIC, and He's an awesome guy! But if you’re trying to get into the AMDO community, I would suggest you do your homework. It's a very selective community and part of the interview process of getting into the community is having the 15XX, who's doing the interview, is to find out if you’re basically worthy enough and knowledgeable about what your ready to get yourself into. if you need any help or guidance on putting your package together, you can shoot me a IM if you would like.

Wannab_a1525

You can waiver up to 48 months for age waivers for prior service, although since I presume you're in VR-58, that may be different for reserves. Best talk to your CCC about that. WRT AMDO, if you've got lots of Maint. experience, then you ought to pretty much know what AMDOs do. Why not just talk with your MMCO or AMO for the run down on exactly what they're all about?

Brett

To direct C-40CC to go and talk to the CCC at "VR-xx" isn't a good idea, TRUST ME!

I think there's only (2) 15XX's, CDR(s) G. (SELRES) and LT. B. (FTS) the rest i believe are 1315's.

C-40CC, I think you know me. So if you need pointers and/or direction, drop me a line. I think you still have my phone #. I know the FTS and SELRES sides are different but if your up against the "age thingy" i believe there's a wavier. And if you need any help, i'll be up in Jax tomorrow (Fri, Nov.3rd) so i'll stop by if you want me to?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To direct C-40CC to go and talk to the CCC at "VR-xx" isn't a good idea, TRUST ME!

I think there's only (2) 15XX's, CDR(s) G. (SELRES) and LT. B. (FTS) the rest i believe are 1315's.

C-40CC, I think you know me. So if you need pointers and/or direction, drop me a line. I think you still have my phone #. I know the FTS and SELRES sides are different but if your up against the "age thingy" i believe there's a wavier. And if you need any help, i'll be up in Jax tomorrow (Fri, Nov.3rd) so i'll stop by if you want me to?

Well, if your particular CCC is less than capable, there are plenty of others available on base and at other commands.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.