• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retirement Plan for Prior Service

usachasen

Good evening,

I am Active Duty in the US Coast Guard as an E-5 with almost 6 years of service, and I am separating soon with an Honorable discharge. I am currently applying for Navy OCS with the hopes of becoming a Naval Officer, and I plan on serving for an entire career.

I have a question regarding military retirement.

I came into service in September 2014. I am currently grandfathered into the “Legacy” military retirement plan with the Coast Guard. If I am accepted to Navy OCS and receive a commission, will I have the option to keep the “Legacy” option, or will I be forced into the “Blended Retirement System”? If so, will I have to prove or provide documentation that I stayed with the “Legacy” plan? I looked through my DD-214 and cannot find anything on it stating the retirement plan I was in.

My recruiter says he has no idea, so I was wondering if there was someone on here that would know. Thank you for anything you can tell me.

Have a great day.

usachasen

RecruitingGuru,

Thank you for the reply, and I apologize for asking a question that was already answered. How will I prove that I stayed with the Legacy/High 3? And will that take place during the recruiting process, or during OCS, or when I report to my first unit? Thank you so much.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
RecruitingGuru,

Thank you for the reply, and I apologize for asking a question that was already answered. How will I prove that I stayed with the Legacy/High 3? And will that take place during the recruiting process, or during OCS, or when I report to my first unit? Thank you so much.

You don’t need to “prove” anything, your prior service record will have every thing.

usachasen

That is were I am confused. It doesn't say anywhere on the DD-214 what retirement option you were in. What prior service record would have this information?

usachasen

AllAmerican75,

Roger that. Does that mean I should provide some LESs that I have had with the USCG, or will the Navy have the ability to access them themselves?

subreservist

I would wait to see if you get selected then figure out your transitional queries.

My understanding, you're under legacy based on starting military service prior to the cutoff. Your start of service doesn't change with picking up a commission in a different service. Proof of your start of service is all you would need and that is captured on your DD214 (and probably other places as well).

usachasen

subreservist,

Thank you for the reply, I agree with what you are saying. I guess I find it interesting that you could be someone that switched to the BRS a couple of years ago (and receive matching contributions during your time in), and then when getting commissioned into a new service, elect to go back to the Legacy, but keep those contributions. This is not my situation, I just was just wondering if they had anything in place for stopping this from happening, or if they just allow it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
subreservist,

Thank you for the reply, I agree with what you are saying. I guess I find it interesting that you could be someone that switched to the BRS a couple of years ago (and receive matching contributions during your time in), and then when getting commissioned into a new service, elect to go back to the Legacy, but keep those contributions. This is not my situation, I just was just wondering if they had anything in place for stopping this from happening, or if they just allow it.

Honestly, you need to focus more on the application/getting accepted part and less on this. You are getting WAY worked up on this and you're definitely not the first person experiencing/experienced this. If your recruiter doesn't know, your officer processor will.