• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Reserves officer (CEC) pros/cons debate

Jjsieber

Looking at pros/cons of applying to reserves as an officer (CEC). I already have 8 years active as a Nuke EM. Got my EE degree and my MBA. Did 3 years at a conventional power plant as an EE, currently work for the utility company as a distribution controller. Really looking towards retirement for the family benefits. And the direct report experience I'd receive in the reserves would benefit my full time job to move up and use my MBA.
My wifes main concern is time/weekends away from her and 5mo old daughter. Recruiter mentioned flex weekends for the unit I'd be with. Any other info to persuade me and/or my wife one way or the other would be appreciated.
Thanks

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
There's definitely the possibility of flex drills, but it's not guaranteed... Also, you have to complete your initial training pipeline, so the first year or so, may not be as flexible, simply due to school dates and needing to be with your unit for acclimatization and such.

I know of a prior enlisted Sailor who DCO'd as a Suppo. They got tired of missing their kids' soccer games, so they ended up resigning the new commission as an Ensign (allowed to expire the remainder of their obligation in the IRR). I understand that family is first, but it seemed like a waste for someone else who could have made the work/life equation balance. Should have had more (better) conversations with their spouse before putting the package together in the first place...

n.b.
Don't be surprised when good work begets more work(load) for you outside the drill weekends.

Jjsieber

Ya, I wouldnt be routing the package without knowing what I'm getting into and getting approval from my wife first.
I've heard a couple people say they've had to work/travel without pay on their off time. I understand phone calls or emails, but travel without pay seems wrong.
I understand/assumed the first year or 2 would be more strict with the schedule based on qualifying and getting accustomed to my unit.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Looking at pros/cons of applying to reserves as an officer (CEC). I already have 8 years active as a Nuke EM. Got my EE degree and my MBA. Did 3 years at a conventional power plant as an EE, currently work for the utility company as a distribution controller. Really looking towards retirement for the family benefits. And the direct report experience I'd receive in the reserves would benefit my full time job to move up and use my MBA.
My wifes main concern is time/weekends away from her and 5mo old daughter. Recruiter mentioned flex weekends for the unit I'd be with. Any other info to persuade me and/or my wife one way or the other would be appreciated.
Thanks

Lots of information you can find online about RC CEC. If interested in applying, these are also questions to ask during your two professsional interviews.

Jjsieber

I guess I'm more questioning reserves officer than I am questioning the role, responsibility, and duties of a CEC

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
As a CEC officer chances are you will most likely be part of an NMCB (Seabees) unit. I heard Battalion can be difficult, but there is also Regiment and NSW. NSW loves Seabees, and you have 1 NSW option on each coast. You will be required to get your SCWs (not easy, but you're a Nuke so I wouldn't sweat it) and it will be required to advance or have a career as a CEC officer.

With regard to travelling for drill, if you are listed as Local it doesn't matter if your unit is 3 miles or 1,000 miles away, you are paying your way (driving or flights+rental car) berthing is provided if you're commuting over 50 miles. If you are Cross Assigned, you can usually get quarterly IDTT orders (4-days) which pays for all travel. This option (4, 2, 0) allows you to complete 1, 4-day drill weekend drill with your unit, 1, 2-day locally, and the last month of the quarter your are off. I was with a unit where we drilled 3-days (Fri-Sun) twice a quarter (8x year).

CheckCharlie

If you are Cross Assigned, you can usually get quarterly IDTT orders (4-days) which pays for all travel. This option (4, 2, 0) allows you to complete 1, 4-day drill weekend drill with your unit, 1, 2-day locally, and the last month of the quarter your are off. I was with a unit where we drilled 3-days (Fri-Sun) twice a quarter (8x year).

Does the whole unit sync to the 4, 2, 0 schedule? Or just those that are cross assigned within that NMCB unit/det? I would be driving over 50 miles and would also be cross assigned, so just wondering how it works.

ABMD

Depends on the unit. There are some units where the entire unit does the 4,2,0 schedule. For example, my former unit did 3, 3, 0 (the entire unit). There are other unit that drill on a typical schedule, but allow the CAI members to come in for a quarterly 4-day on IDTT, the member then performs 1 drill weekend locally, usually at the NOSC, and then the member is off the last month of the quarter.

At 50 miles away, could you not get Locally assigned? I'm locally assigned and I drive over 300 miles each way.

CheckCharlie

Depends on the unit. There are some units where the entire unit does the 4,2,0 schedule. For example, my former unit did 3, 3, 0 (the entire unit). There are other unit that drill on a typical schedule, but allow the CAI members to come in for a quarterly 4-day on IDTT, the member then performs 1 drill weekend locally, usually at the NOSC, and then the member is off the last month of the quarter.

At 50 miles away, could you not get Locally assigned? I'm locally assigned and I drive over 300 miles each way.
I'm expecting 2,2,2 so if I get 3,3,0 or 4,2,0 that would be gravy. I just got selected, so soon I should have more details on local or cross assignment. Kudos for driving 300 miles each way. Really. Round-trip that's probably close to 8 hours and $100 on gas alone and it sounds like you've been at it for a bit. The flex schedule surely helps, but how far is too far? Honest question: what keeps you motivated? I mean, cost/benefit wise.

ABMD

For me, the 300 miles is all highway and takes between 5-6hrs and I drive a hybrid so I'm getting 40-45mpg. I leave work around 3:30-4 on Friday, head home, grab something to eat and my bags and hit the road. I'm usually in my room between 11-11:30 Friday night. I'm definitely not doing it for the money although it is nice to take that extra pay and be able to save/invest it. Motivation for me is being part of a team and not wanting to let that team down. Plus, it's a different challenge than what I have in my civilian career.

It all depends on your designator and geographic location. We have guys that fly-in from half way across the country and rent a vehicle for the weekend on their own dime. I'm a Supply O and billets are few and far between. So if you want to get in a hard billet, you are going to have to travel. My former XO was commuting from Rhode Island to SoCal monthly.

Not to get into the weeds and I'm not a tax professional, but there are tax deductions you can take as a reservist depending on how far your commute is for drill. If over 100 miles I believe you can deduct your mileage + tolls + meals (not to exceed per diem). I'd consult your tax pro on that info.