• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Research and Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

elan_alvey

i'm currently a freshman in college studying to be an electrical engineer. i'm just wondering if there were any R&D jobs. I talked to a recruiter and all he told me i could do was to be a nuclear engineer, but that's not really what i was looking for. My dad is a retired navy officer and told me of places like china lake etc... can anyone help me find out how to get more information about this? Also, will the navy cover for tuition for me being an engineer? i also have a medical question. will having an stomach ulcer cause me to be disqualified? my family had a house fire and it caused a lot of stress, but i took some medication and it cleared it up. it'll be about 6 years from the time i graduate since i've had it.

thanks,
elan alvey

geerst

Hello Elan,

The ulcer is not a problem, as long as it does not become active again.

Your recruiter was correct in stating the only R&D job the Navy has is nuke engineer. The government employs civil servants who are engineers and scientists, working with the Navy at many exciting places and on lots of cool projects. As a Naval officer, your primary job is to be an officer, a leader of men. You secondary job is to be a pilot, or a doctor, or whatever. If you want pure R&D, go government service.

Hope this helps,
LCDR Geers

elan_alvey

Thanks LCDR Geers for answering my question.
I also have another question... What is a Aviation Maintnance Officer? Would i be on a ship or would i be at an airstation? i've also herd rumors that you can sign a contract about where your first duty station will be, is that true?

thanks,
elan alvey

geerst

Elan,

An Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer (AMDO) coordinates the maintenance activity on aircraft. Usually 1-2 AMDOs are assigned per squadron, directing the enlisted maintainers, from avionics (ATs) to mechs (ADs), as they perform daily or periodic maintenance and get the aircraft ready for the day's flight schedule. AMDOs are assigned to both sea-going squadrons and shore-based.

Contracts are not available for duty stations, with the exception of some medical professionals who negotiate for orders before they are commissioned (not even really a contract). After OCS and your follow-on schooling, you will communicate with your detailer on where you would like to be stationed. Your detailer will take your input and consider the needs of the Navy and issue orders. Sometimes you get your choice, sometimes you don't. For the most part, officers have a huge say in orders.

LCDR Geers

elan_alvey

LCDR Geer, you kick butt. You've told me more information in less than a day than i have found in about 3 monthes. One last question. Do you know of any links for the AMDO? I want to research it.

thanks,
elan alvey

geerst

Elan,

Also look at www.amdo.org. "Community Overview" is a good place to start there.

LCDR Geers

elan_alvey

Well, i guess i lied. i might still have a few more questions. while surfing aroud i found a website talking about (AEDO) Aeronotical Engineering Duty Officer.

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/pers446/AEDO1_webpage.htm

I looked this up on the internet but i didn't find much. If anyone can help, please do. I hope to some day follow my dads foot steps.

thanks,
elan alvey

geerst

Elan,

AEDO is a very small community. Requirements for entry are: 1) Possess master's degree in engineering or physical sciences (can have bachelor in engineering with management masters, but more competitive the other way); 2) Be aviation warfare qualified (means winged); 3) Be LT or higher; 4) Have at least 4 years of sea-duty.

Once selected for AEDO, you will enter the Acquisition Professional Community, which deals with weapon system procurement, testing, evaluation, etc.

Hope this helps.
LCDR Geers

Status
Not open for further replies.