• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Request for Helicopter PQS manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

camnowell

None
I thought I would throw this request for info out to the Navy Helicopter community at large - I was a P-3C Flight Engineer in my previous life and now, through the mystery of fate, I am a Instructor Pilot in the Army on the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior - introductions aside -

Having come up through the ranks in the Navy, I became intimately familiar with many variations of PQS. Now, after coming over to the Army, I realized they have nothing of the sort and pretty much have no organization at all to their training. Now, I've got a wild hair, and, while I'm deployed to the sand box for 15 months, I thought I would bide my time by developing an in-house Kiowa Warrior "PQS" for the new guys. I figured a good start would be having a copy of a fleet H-60, -53, or maybe even a schoolhouse TH-57 PQS book (although I'm not sure that would have the same one-liners and "Fly-flights" that I'm thinking of basing my program) to develop my thoughts and help guide my program. If anyone out there could spare a copy, I would greatly appreciate it. I understand OPSEC could be an issue - you can email me at cameron.nowell@us.army.mil or PM me for the mailing address. I am more than willing to repay the cost of shipping and your troubles.

Thanks in advance,
CW2 Cameron Nowell
ex-AME1(AW/NAC)
VP-11, VP-69, VP-65

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've never heard nor seen a "flying PQS." I know the VP guys had them, but I never knew anyone to even call it that in a helo squadron. We had syllabus flights, which were usually nothing more than a gradesheet (which I think is now part of SHARP, but it's been a while). Then there would be upgrade requirements in an instruction which was the official version of what was needed (signed by the CO). But for the most part, it was just a matter of looking at the grade sheet for that flight and preparing off of what was required.

I understand that all of this is essentially a version of a PQS, but there was no actual book like there would be for EAWS/ESWS/PC qual/etc.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ah, the VP community still has PQS/JQR or whatever you wish to call it....

camnowell

None
Thanks everyone for the rapid response and good info -

bb1125 - you were right, I couldn't get in, but I'll try contacting the PM for a copy. After submitting my request to this forum, I realized a copy on digits would be even better.

Cygnus - excellent information available there as well, thanks for the link.

I've been out of the Navy loop for the past 4 years or so, but I just assumed that all communities utilized the PQS format. Thanks again to all for the help and taking the time to point me in a good direction.

camnowell

None
I completely agree with you NavAir42, I absolutely hated having to spend my days chasing down people for signatures before my next flight. However, the problem I'm running into is that we have an "Aircrew Training Manual" that lists a fair amount of "base" tasks and "mission" tasks that we have to train to "standard" and it's quite exhaustive in its detail. Unfortunately, when it comes down to other tasks, such as aircraft systems knowledge, weapons knowledge, threat knowledge, etc., all we have to guide our teaching and learning is the experience/knowledge/mental capacity/patience of the teacher. And we all differ in what is important. (What's new?) Thus, if I could consolidate much of that information into a "PQS" type manual that I could eventually pass off to all the instructors and students to help guide their teaching and learning in those particular areas, the end result, I would hope, would be a much more streamlined and focused teaching environment for all.

I know, crazy - probably a pipe-dream. But, it should give me something constructive to do for 15 months.

BTW - Thanks for the avatar! That's a good pic.

bobbybrock

None
Cameron,
Nice to see another Army aviator thinking outside the box. I was active duty for 15 years and still fly for the guard.
Look in 210 for the requirements for the your ATP SOP. This is really the training syllabus outsdie of your ATM. It is developed for each individual unit. It is also inspectable when the ARMS team comes your way.
There are items that have to be in it but you can add to it as well.

camnowell

None
Thanks bobby-

Fortunately, we do have our bases covered in that aspect. Our TACSOP and Annex I with 3000 series tasks are laid out pretty well. I'm looking to go even further beyond that - more along the lines of the subject areas listed above that I'm trying to focus my attention. Being one of two IP's in my troop, and 7 WO1's straight out of flight school that need to be progressed prior to June, and OBTW we have a JRTC rotation in 2 weeks, and by the time we get back, this area of the country will be in 24 hours of daylight, and we will deploy shortly thereafter. Did I mention our mission is mostly night orientated? But, that's neither here nor there.

I have this wild idea to employ my PC's and senior PI's with a tool to enable them to take themselves and some new guy out to the aircraft/hangar deck and get them schooled up on systems and tactics and such with a guidebook of subject areas with sample questions they can sign off to show progress/knowledge. This will try and bring some structure and focus to the old "What's that?, What's this? What does this do?" I guess this may be a bit different than what I described earlier, but it's work in progress.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thread closed at camnowell's request, he got the info he wanted.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.