• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Replacing the NFO

cmwz1510r

pilot
None
So with the eventual replacement of the F18 by the F35, I'm curious to know what is going to happen to all of the NFOs in that community. Is the F model not going away? Or is the entire fleet going to be replaced? I'm sorry for the ignorance, and there have been several threads on here to job security of NFOs, but this is something I haven't really seen talked about.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WRT the recurring single seat fetish . . . it's not quite a law of physics, but it might as well be one.

Jet with good NFO and mature pilot who can do CRM > 500lbs of fuel > jet with either bad, self-comm-jamming NFO or jackass pilot who can't utilize his/her NFO.

cmwz1510r

pilot
None
F/A-18F, EA-18G, E-2D, P-8 - all NFO communities with a long and bright future.

Will there be much room in those communities for O4 NFOs? I know its tough to forecast that far into the future, but I'm hoping the less than 50% selection in the last two years isn't a sign of things to come.
I'm going to be an SNFO with 6 years of enlisted service, and I know that making O4 gets me to at least 20. I understand I need to focus on the short term, but it's not too early to focus on the future. As much as I'd really like to go beyond 20, securing a retirement is a high priority for my family.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
People transition all the time in aviation. S-3 bubbas went P-3 or VAQ, P-3 going P-8 or VUP, etc. If you are valuable as an Officer, the Navy will find somewhere for you to be.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will there be much room in those communities for O4 NFOs? I know its tough to forecast that far into the future, but I'm hoping the less than 50% selection in the last two years isn't a sign of things to come.
I'm going to be an SNFO with 6 years of enlisted service, and I know that making O4 gets me to at least 20. I understand I need to focus on the short term, but it's not too early to focus on the future. As much as I'd really like to go beyond 20, securing a retirement is a high priority for my family.
Every squadron need department heads, so there will always be "room" for O4s of either designator. Just how competitive making O4 and screening for DH is in the future is impossible to predict, thus not something to worry about at this point. Apply yourself and kick ass everywhere you go. That is the best thing you can do that is under your control. If you do that, the odds are in your favor. Good on you for keeping yourself informed about career progression and selection rates. That's above average for someone of your rank.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know we might consider them almost Air Force, but let's not forget the E-6B bubbas. ;)
An intentional omission. I was including communities with brand new aircraft. While I don't think the TACAMO mission will be going away, I'm not sure how much longer the E-6B will be in service. Sounds like a perfect mission for a UAV to me. ;)

cmwz1510r

pilot
None
Every squadron need department heads, so there will always be "room" for O4s of either designator. Just how competitive making O4 and screening for DH is in the future is impossible to predict, thus not something to worry about at this point. Apply yourself and kick ass everywhere you go. That is the best thing you can do that is under your control. If you do that, the odds are in your favor. Good on you for keeping yourself informed about career progression and selection rates. That's above average for someone of your rank.

Thank you sir, I believe the success I enjoyed while enlisted was because I planned ahead. Its just unfortunate that the possibility exists that I may not make 20. I guess with that little bit of doubt there it'll motivate me to push even harder to succeed.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy will not bounce you strictly because your T/M/S goes away. There were a lot of guys who were caught in that vortex when the A-6 sundowned and they've been determined not to repeat that. All the Tomcat RIOs found homes even though not all VF squadrons became F-Rhino squadrons. They found places for the S-3 guys, too - they offered a community transition to anyone who wanted one. If it was a community you didn't want you could turn it down, but then you were on your own. And anyway, as has been said, there are a lot of new production airplanes with NFO seats and they'll be around for a long time.

Short version - this isn't something you need to sweat.

JEFE

None
Even when they start getting rid of pilots, the NFO job is safe. Unfortunately it just won't be in the aircraft anymore. Most of the UAS being developed and fielded today are not remotely piloted aircraft. They automate the pilot specific monkey skills, leaving mission management tasks to the operator, who could be an NFO or a pilot. They will probably fly the plane better than your current pilot, but won't be as good at keeping you awake on a long, boring mission.