• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recruiters

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
One of my FRS sim instructors was a West Point graduate and huey pilot for several years before switching over to Naval Aviation. Despite being an (Army) winged aviator, they still sent him through the entire aviation syllabus including API.
In my AOCS class, we had an ex-Army WO3 Viet Nam veteran medievac helo pilot with a Silver Star, Purple Heart, multiple DFCs and Air Medals. Since he was a WO, they made him attend AOCS. After AOCS he was supposed to go straight to a helo FRS but about half way through, they decided he needed to go through primary because he had no fixed-wing experience. Right before commissioning they decided he needed the whole pilot pipeline because he needed to learn "the Navy way". They still tried to preselect him for helos but at this point he called BS. If he was going to do all the training, he was going to get to compete for any aircraft. He ended up flying F-14s.

Since most of the DIs were also Viet Nam vets and loved medivac pilots, his status was hidden from the DIs and his fellow candidates until candidate officer phase. He didn't want any special favors. During Candio phase, he was taken our for beers by all the DI Viet Nam vets on one night or another.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In my AOCS class, we had an ex-Army WO3 Viet Nam veteran medievac helo pilot with a Silver Star, Purple Heart, multiple DFCs and Air Medals. Since he was a WO, they made him attend AOCS. After AOCS he was supposed to go straight to a helo FRS but about half way through, they decided he needed to go through primary because he had no fixed-wing experience. Right before commissioning they decided he needed the whole pilot pipeline because he needed to learn "the Navy way". They still tried to preselect him for helos but at this point he called BS. If he was going to do all the training, he was going to get to compete for any aircraft. He ended up flying F-14s.

Since most of the DIs were also Viet Nam vets and loved medivac pilots, his status was hidden from the DIs and his fellow candidates until candidate officer phase. He didn't want any special favors. During Candio phase, he was taken our for beers by all the DI Viet Nam vets on one night or another.
Wonder if that was the VF-213 ( IIRC) Turkey pilot I cruised with. Vietnam helo WO. Tons of decorations.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Wonder if that was the VF-213 ( IIRC) Turkey pilot I cruised with. Vietnam helo WO. Tons of decorations.
I think his first name was Bernie but I'm not sure. Too many penguins jumping off the iceberg. I lost track of him a couple of years after AOCS.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CO of my first squadron when I left was a former OH-6/MEDEVAC pilot from Vietnam, switched over at ~31 years old and was too old to be a pilot so he became a FO. I last ran into him at medical ~2010-2011 and was finally retiring after 40 years in uniform.

OptionsDollaraire

What should one do about an unresponsive recruiter? I haven't even gotten in contact with mine and it's been over 2 weeks of trying. Now I understand that officer recruiters are super busy and mine is running 5 states. Do I just sit on my hands or can I get in touch with another recruiter?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
What should one do about an unresponsive recruiter? I haven't even gotten in contact with mine and it's been over 2 weeks of trying. Now I understand that officer recruiters are super busy and mine is running 5 states. Do I just sit on my hands or can I get in touch with another recruiter?

It’s the summer and July 4 holiday, the recruiter could be on leave.

Or is just swamped working other high pri applicants.

Or just doesn’t prefer to call back.

Also, have you tried calling, texting, etc? As in, exhaled all options of contacting? I’ve found millennials are stunned/amazed that a smart phone can also be used to call people…

OptionsDollaraire

It’s the summer and July 4 holiday, the recruiter could be on leave.

Or is just swamped working other high pri applicants.

Or just doesn’t prefer to call back.

Also, have you tried calling, texting, etc? As in, exhaled all options of contacting? I’ve found millennials are stunned/amazed that a smart phone can also be used to call people…
I don't even have the recruiters number yet. I'm still stuck on step 1 where you contact the person on the navy.com website. There is only 1 officer recruiter for my region too. So what I'm reading is basically I am at the mercy of his schedule?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I don't even have the recruiters number yet. I'm still stuck on step 1 where you contact the person on the navy.com website. There is only 1 officer recruiter for my region too. So what I'm reading is basically I am at the mercy of his schedule?

No, use your google senses and look up either the recruiting office or NTAG headquarters to find an officer recruiter.

If you’re being asked about taking an ASVAB, you probably reached an enlisted recruiter.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the mid 80s I had all of Az and southern NV and only one program, aviation and later Nuc. Two other recruiters assisted with other programs. No one is working 5 states. Even today.