• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Recommendation Letters

Freddie Ansley

I’m applying for OCS and all I have left is the recommendation letters. How many should I get and at what level should I seek them? Any pointers on what makes a good recommendation letter (meat and potatoes) is welcome. Thanks for your help and guidance.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I’m applying for OCS and all I have left is the recommendation letters. How many should I get and at what level should I seek them? Any pointers on what makes a good recommendation letter (meat and potatoes) is welcome. Thanks for your help and guidance.

Look at the Fleet OCS checklist and you and find your answer.

As for the quality of each LOR, I would use the “common sense” principle. If stumped, google is your friend...

Freddie Ansley

The application checklist only says Letters of Recommendation. Does not specify a number. Google will give me templates which I already have. I prefer live recommendations of substance to a search engine which puts me into a position of assumption.

Larick

None
Contributor
My thought process was to get some from people in different parts of my life that could speak highly of you. I got 4: A professor (how you are in the classroom), coach (leadership/teamwork ability), supervisor (how you are in a workplace environment), and a family friend retired Navy. Going through the process, 3 was the minimum in order to submit.

RyanScott

I believe that request for reference form DD370 should be used for both active duty and new assession sailors. As for providers, it should be people that know you professionally. Content should be written similar to an EVAL.

matt_c

Going through the process now for OCS, took the OAR once, retaking again in December. I have 3 LOR's (2 Vice Admirals and one Cabinet Secretary), how well will this boost my packet? I am also prior service with 5 years enlisted. I was a shift supervisor as well at my squadron and supervised 30 junior sailors. Wanted to get someones opinion on my packet so far besides my OR.