• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Recent college graduate seeking advice on which designator is right for me?

KiloWhiskey595

I'm 23 years old and just graduated from college with a B.S. in Natural Resource Conservation, 3.59 GPA, and have been working for a non-profit that partners with the Forest Service on a wilderness trail maintenance crew for the last two years. I've had a desire to join the military since I was in the 6th grade and decided that it is the actual career I want to pursue.

I've been looking at officer designators and can't really find one that I qualify for or am extremely interested in. I really enjoy working with my hands, problem-solving, and doing something that has a practical and tangible result. I wanted to become a Diver but it doesn't appear that there are any officer positions in this field. I was interested in the Nuke field but was put off after reading a lot of comments from former and current Nuke's. It seems that they all hate their job and that although the pay is good, the hours and workload is just too much. I've also considered the Civil Engineer Corps just from working construction jobs in the past but I would have to go back to school for a second bachelor's degree in engineering which would take me probably another three years.

I've been researching a lot about METOC or Naval Aviator. METOC seems similar to my degree and I would probably have to go to grad school in order to qualify, however, I've heard that it is extremely hard to get into. Naval Aviator seems interesting as well, but I've never really had a desire to fly.

My plan is to make the Navy my career. My degree didn't prepare me for a military career but I pursued it because I liked to be outside and my parents pretty much forced me to go to college. Any thoughts on a good field for me? I'd really appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m confused. You say you want to be in the military, it’s your dream since you’re a kid, you plan on making it a career, but none of the designator are at all interesting to you.

So I have to ask - what part of being in the military does interest you? Because as someone said on this site, it’s not all choker whites and dining outs.

If you want to get your hands dirty, work for the USG, and get a uniform, stick with Interior (Park Service, Forest Service, BLM, etc). Or maybe try NOAA? Natural resources is one of their big things, and they have a commissioned officer corps. And divers. Because if none of the Navy officer jobs sound interesting to you, I don’t recommend pursuing it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You just posted the SAME EXACT THING several weeks ago.

Lets face it, you can't make a decision for the life of you.

KiloWhiskey595

You just posted the SAME EXACT THING several weeks ago.

Lets face it, you can't make a decision for the life of you.
I'm sorry. I just wanted to see if somebody could offer their views on these respective communities or offer any advice as to whether they have been in this similar situation to help me make a decision. I'm sorry I wasted your time and anyone else's and I will no longer be making any more posts or comments on this site. Anybody who views this message can disregard my post as it is irrelevant to you. Thank you, everyone, for your time and comments. If anyone knows a way I can delete my account so as not to bother anyone else in the future I would be thankful. God bless.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm sorry. I just wanted to see if somebody could offer their views on these respective communities or offer any advice as to whether they have been in this similar situation to help me make a decision. I'm sorry I wasted your time and anyone else's and I will no longer be making any more posts or comments on this site. Anybody who views this message can disregard my post as it is irrelevant to you. Thank you, everyone, for your time and comments. If anyone knows a way I can delete my account so as not to bother anyone else in the future I would be thankful. God bless.

You don't need to go away. But you do need to learn how to use the resources within arms reach. Your question has been asked before and there are similar posters who have asked the same thing before.

Between Airwarriors and google, look up your answers. In addition, go through "Navy Program Authorizations" to see if you're even qualified.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Don’t expect the world to spoon feed you all of your requested information in one place. Go search. This will come up again.

twgilmo

Reading the original post, one theme rang out. Why do you think you need/should be a commissioned officer? It sounds like there are roles you like in the enlisted world, and apperantly none for officers.

Having a degree does not eliminate enlisted options. I served along side many enlisted members with bachelor’s and master’s degrees. If you want to serve, go do it.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Reading the original post, one theme rang out. Why do you think you need/should be a commissioned officer? It sounds like there are roles you like in the enlisted world, and apperantly none for officers.

Having a degree does not eliminate enlisted options. I served along side many enlisted members with bachelor’s and master’s degrees. If you want to serve, go do it.
If you don’t like money, that this advice!