• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

exNavyOffRec

VADM Rowden, the last SWO Boss, was a nuke; I had a CSG CDR recently who was a nuke. Anecdotal, but I think they tend to do fine for flag (statistically on par with non-nuke).
I have known SWO(N) I thought would get there but never did, maybe just bad luck with the ones I knew.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I don't think I have been stationed with any SWO(N) that rose past O-6 even though I know there have been.

ADM Craig Faller (SOUTHCOM) was a SWO (N). As AZGuy stated, there's quite a few out there still.

Didn't you tell me you knew RADM (ret) Mark Montgomery? He was a SWO (N).

azguy

None
I have known SWO(N) I thought would get there but never did, maybe just bad luck with the ones I knew.

The numbers are slim across the board, I'm sure we've all known many phenomenal O-6s that don't make it.

SB has some interesting stats on this actually - once you get to very senior ranks, something like a 30-40% of all 3/4-stars are nuke-trained, between SWO(N), Sub drivers, and post-CVN command.

exNavyOffRec

The numbers are slim across the board, I'm sure we've all known many phenomenal O-6s that don't make it.

SB has some interesting stats on this actually - once you get to very senior ranks, something like a 30-40% of all 3/4-stars are nuke-trained, between SWO(N), Sub drivers, and post-CVN command.

I have known a few Sub guys that made flag as well, I know several post CVN command that did, however I was focusing on SWO (N), unfortunately there are also those that make flag that weren't the best.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
You're comparing apples to oranges with an RO tour and major command tour. RO is a nuke milestone tour and the CGs are major command. Major command is meant for senior officers to demonstrate performance as they are considered and even groomed for Flag.

Thanks a lot for explanations. I took in account this view: AEGIS or amphib experience is the SWO(N)'s problem and not an advantage, and this particular officer shuttled back and forth (DDG command as command tour - RO as nuke milestone tour - and CG as major command tour) which as a process may slack not only professionalism but identity as well. This is definitely not for everyone.

however I was focusing on SWO (N), unfortunately there are also those that make flag that weren't the best.

Noted RADM Mark Montgomery is AFAIK somehow linked to Ft Leonard deals, isn't it?

More details: one of the current SWO(N) who's in command of CG after RO tour is Capt Erika L. Hoffmann but her command tour before RO didn't include the AEGIS since she commanded FFG instead of DDG. Whether is means she has really outstanding leadership and AAW skills enough to put her in command of major AAW asset without command experience for AEGIS?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Noted RADM Mark Montgomery is AFAIK somehow linked to Ft Leonard deals, isn't it?

Yes, somewhat. You can find out more about what happened to him through the internets.

More details: one of the current SWO(N) who's in command of CG after RO tour is Capt Erika L. Hoffmann but her command tour before RO didn't include the AEGIS since she commanded FFG instead of DDG. Whether is means she has really outstanding leadership and AAW skills enough to put her in command of major AAW asset without command experience for AEGIS?

Command at sea is command at sea. There's a lot that goes into placement for command billets to include personal preference and circumstances. Going to a FFG instead of a DDG doesn't mean she's "below par" compared to DDG XO/CO - in the end she did well and ultimately screened for major command and is sitting as a CO of a CG.

We all don't know CAPT Hoffmann and there's a possibility she wanted to "diverse" her portfolio by choosing (or putting a preference) a FFG tour for command.

exNavyOffRec

Yes, somewhat. You can find out more about what happened to him through the internets.

Command at sea is command at sea. There's a lot that goes into placement for command billets to include personal preference and circumstances. Going to a FFG instead of a DDG doesn't mean she's "below par" compared to DDG XO/CO - in the end she did well and ultimately screened for major command and is sitting as a CO of a CG.

We all don't know CAPT Hoffmann and there's a possibility she wanted to "diverse" her portfolio by choosing (or putting a preference) a FFG tour for command.

Sometimes you get an opportunity to do something you want in the USN, but it may not necessarily be where you want to do it, what is important is you do it well.

Max the Mad Russian

Sometimes you get an opportunity to do something you want in the USN, but it may not necessarily be where you want to do it, what is important is you do it well.

Generally it fits to almost every situation in life except for being married: from time to time you simply don't know what is good and what is bad:)

BTW, since we are in SWO thread - which is the main warfighting skill the FFG CO can obtain during his/her tour in USN. It is important to note that not only USN frigate paradigm differs from other navies, additionally the FFGs lost their AAW potential with Mk13 removed and the next generation of "frigates", LCSs, don't possess any. From the other point, two 60' embarked made FFG kinda little ASW carrier, so her CO knows at least a bit more about tactical helo ops. Aside, since FFG is sole-shaft design, maybe her CO as shiphandler will obtain better understanding of mooring through an attention to behavior of the hull around pivot point. I once moored a Coast Guard ocean tug with one screw and no bow thrust during strong offshore wind with no helping harbour tugs and at least half of my grey hair is from that event...

So I suppose the FFG command tour prepare SWO for tough time at sea but I'm not sure it is extremely needed for nuke SWO...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From the other point, two 60' embarked made FFG kinda little ASW carrier, so her CO knows at least a bit more about tactical helo ops.

No, on both accounts.

Aside, since FFG is sole-shaft design, maybe her CO as shiphandler will obtain better understanding of mooring through an attention to behavior of the hull around pivot point.

FFGs had 2 APUs which seemed to make the Shoe's lives relatively easier when trying to moor. One example is they could hold themselves in place with the APUs and walk the stern with the screw either way, depending on helm direction (ahead vs back helm orders).

azguy

None
The discussion of FFG COs is OBE as the last of them is now in major command. The new discussion would be LCS CO vs DDG CO (or LSD CO), not really worth much discussion IMO. These are simply slating decisions. Slightly dated example, but same as comparing CO of a Hornet vs Rhino squadron. They're all COs that will be O-6s some day. DDGs and Rhinos are more capable but there are plenty of reasons someone might want to command a legacy Hornet squadron or LCS. Love of the platform, desire for a certain homeport, timing/needs of the Navy, etc.

Max the Mad Russian

Other than the fact that there were FFGs in the USN, everything else in your sentence is technically and factually incorrect.
OK. I just gonna tell you that FFGs in USN are/were not the same as FFGs of other (escpecially non-NATO) navies and thus it is hard to compare...

DDGs and Rhinos are more capable but there are plenty of reasons someone might want to command a legacy Hornet squadron or LCS. Love of the platform, desire for a certain homeport, timing/needs of the Navy, etc.

No one knows to the date how worth the LCS really is, I suppose. Maybe overall concept is a mistake, just like JSF. Just like Russians already confess secretly within the Navy that their 20380/85 guided missile corvettes are wasted money...

azguy

None
No one knows to the date how worth the LCS really is, I suppose. Maybe overall concept is a mistake, just like JSF. Just like Russians already confess secretly within the Navy that their 20380/85 guided missile corvettes are wasted money...

That has nothing to do with my post.

Also, Newsflash! The RFN has been buying/building junk tech for a very long time; generations prior to the Steregushchy.